Mower strait pipe?

jt2953

Threads
Is it safe to put on a straight pipe with a flapper on the side of a mower coming up? (with the dangers of hot metal sticking up around you and exhaust fumes in your face, noise around you etc.)

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Are you asking about safety for the engine or the operator??

As for the engine... if you keep water out of it... there will be no problem, that's a small engine, so there also is not a lot of heat or noise for that matter... It will get annoying ... Open exhaust or strait pipes sound good under acceleration, and then only for a while... Mowing is not much of a load on an engine and it will just drone on--- and on.... :smile:KennyV
BTW... Welcome to LMF..

jt2953

Threads
If i put a 1 inch or a half inch galvanized pipe on it will the exhaust sound high pitch and make a loud popping noise?

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
We put a straight pipe on my Grandmother's John Deere 110 tractor. It was just kind of a drone mowing or blowing snow. But then the county sup said she could have the 1/2 truckload of left over gravel down (and I mean down) on the corner for her drive. Coming up the hill with that JD model 80 cart full of gravel (over 500 pounds each trip); I still can hear the bellow of that old Kohler engine!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I think you should put a megaphone on it. As long as I don't live next door to you or have to use it. My grandson uses 3in chrome straight pipes on his pulling tractors and they sure bark. A pull only last for less the a minute.:rolleyes:

Black Bart

Threads
I have a 24" chrome stack on my 430 JD been that way for 20 years or more.
When I was doing custom tilling and ran it 10 hours a day I could hear it in my sleep. :laughing:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am in my 70's and a lot of my hearing is gone and the reason I have been told is loud noises. :frown: When I was younger I liked the sound of loud pipes but I am paying for it now. If you want straight pipes use ear protection. You also should use it when you use most lawn equipment straight pipes or not.

Black Bart

Threads
I am in my 70's and a lot of my hearing is gone and the reason I have been told is loud noises. :frown: When I was younger I liked the sound of loud pipes but I am paying for it now. If you want straight pipes use ear protection. You also should use it when you use most lawn equipment straight pipes or not.

For years my hobby was shooting guns.
I need a straight pipe so I can tell if it is running. :biggrin:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
For years my hobby was shooting guns.
I need a straight pipe so I can tell if it is running. :biggrin:

You need a megaphone exhaust on a diesel for sure. Is it a two cylinder diesel? one for each ear. Could be when you are working it real hard you can get some black smoke along with the noise that way when your hearing is completely gone you will know it is still running.:eek:

Black Bart

Threads
You need a megaphone exhaust on a diesel for sure. Is it a two cylinder diesel? one for each ear. Could be when you are working it real hard you can get some black smoke along with the noise that way when your hearing is completely gone you will know it is still running.:eek:

It is a 3 cylinder Yanmar very little smoke unless you lug it.
It is a JD 430 they are a brute of a lawn tractor. :thumbsup: