Mower selection advice...

doverpigpen

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey y'all I am a closet follower on here and get on here to try and fix issues I have had with my mowers in the past but only today signed in to ask a questions. I hope I have placed it in the right area. My buddy and I Used to mow grass in the summer to pay for school. We were lucky to just borrow the equipment from a friend of ours and had no overhead. The scholarships have run out and a friend and myself have been debating on whether or not this summer to work yards to pay for school once again. We go to a small college here in Georgia so costs are not too high and we have a second job as it is and do not to be making big money, just a supplement. What would yall suggest in the way of a zero turn mower that will hopefully find a good mix of low overhead and tuff enough quality? Perhaps and perfect mower suggestion with no financial barriers and then an economical suggestion. We will be doing small private yards in dense subdivisions. Thanks for the help gentlemen, I am eager to read the responses.

Old Goat

Threads
First, how much are you willing to spend for a ZTR.

Second, would you rather buy new or used.

Third, what size mower deck are you wanting.

Charles

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I would check the dealers in your area, to see what they have in good used equipment and what the landscapers in the area are using. Don't just go by price, but make sure you are comfortable with the dealer. Remember, you will be buying used equipment and a good dealer will want you coming back, if everything works out.

doverpigpen

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, how much are you willing to spend for a ZTR.

Second, would you rather buy new or used.

Third, what size mower deck are you wanting.

Charles

I guess the table is open. Ideally as little as possible as to not take away from the retained earnings too much. I don't want to spend more than 4,000. I am okay with either new or used as long as I know what to look for in a used machine. I am thinking about going with a smaller deck since I will be doing small residential yards instead of large tracts.

metz12

Threads
I guess the table is open. Ideally as little as possible as to not take away from the retained earnings too much. I don't want to spend more than 4,000. I am okay with either new or used as long as I know what to look for in a used machine. I am thinking about going with a smaller deck since I will be doing small residential yards instead of large tracts.

if your not doing too big of jobs, why dont you go the walk behind mower route? with the standing attachment maybe?

Threads

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

If you are looking for a ZTR and don't want to spend over 4K try the Dixie Chopper Zee 2.I comes with a Kawasaki engine and in a 42" cut for $3799 and it will last you forever and if you want to sell the thing later you can get most of your money back. It will be all you need or want in a mower. Zee 2 | Dixie Chopper

ghessler26

Threads
I'm not a fan of how the Dixie Chopper looks. I prefer Gravely & Toro.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads

I tend to agree with user ghessler26 that for around $4,000 a Gravely ZT HD 44"/48" or an Toro Titan ZX or MX 48" would get my money.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads

To begin with I don't buy a mower based on looks. I prefer Toro also but were talking about under $4000 and anything with a price tag like that in the Toro line isn't much of a mower and can,t compete with the Dixie Chopper and as far as I know the same for Gravely. For $3799 you can't beat the Dixie Zee 2.