Mower deck gets packed with grass - Cub Cadet XT1 (LT50) - Please help!

baxeckert

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mower deck gets packed with grass - Cub Cadet XT1 (LT50) - Please help!
Good Morning,
Last summer I purchased a new Cub Cadet XT1 (LT50) that replaced an older Cub Cadet LT1050. Prior to both of these mowers, I've never had an issue with grass accumulating under the mower deck. I spend about 30 minutes performing grass removal after every cut, and it's a pretty big amount that I'm pulling out . Is this an issue with Cub Cadet mowers? It's used to cut two properties that total a little over 2 acres and the salesman said this model would handle the acreage. Also, most of the grass is full sun, but there is an area that gets late sun and might not be as dry as the majority of the area. The grass is being cut at a height between 2.5" to 3". Any ideas of either what might be going on or strategies to combat it? I can't spend another summer up to my elbows in grass stains.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have more questions than answers at this time, as I’m standing next you with a strong drink in my hand to see your problem. Each question I ask may be or contribute to your problem. First, are you discharging or mulching? Mulching normally does lead to buildup. Second, you say you are cutting to a height of 2.5+3 inches, but how much are you cutting off each time you cut? At your height setting the max height of the grass would be 4.5 inch for a good cutting experience. Over that will slow down your blades slightly, leading to buildup. Third, what type of blade are you using, low lift, high lift, mulching or combo? Believe it or not, combining the deck design with the blade design and style of cutting leads to build up. Ex. low lift blade, mulching, and cutting long grass will lead to high buildup. Finally, what speed is your engine running at and how fast are you traveling when cutting? Not having the engine at full speed is just about the worst thing you can do to prevent buildup. Answering each and everyone of these questions will give us a better picture of what is happening.

baxeckert

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have more questions than answers at this time, as I’m standing next you with a strong drink in my hand to see your problem. Each question I ask may be or contribute to your problem. First, are you discharging or mulching? Mulching normally does lead to buildup. Second, you say you are cutting to a height of 2.5+3 inches, but how much are you cutting off each time you cut? At your height setting the max height of the grass would be 4.5 inch for a good cutting experience. Over that will slow down your blades slightly, leading to buildup. Third, what type of blade are you using, low lift, high lift, mulching or combo? Believe it or not, combining the deck design with the blade design and style of cutting leads to build up. Ex. low lift blade, mulching, and cutting long grass will lead to high buildup. Finally, what speed is your engine running at and how fast are you traveling when cutting? Not having the engine at full speed is just about the worst thing you can do to prevent buildup. Answering each and everyone of these questions will give us a better picture of what is happening.
Lol, now *I* need the drink! Ok, I can answer a couple of those questions, but probably not the most important ones. I'm discharging the grass, so no mulching. I can't be sure of how much is actually being cut off though. I mow once a week and it never bogs down due to grass height...not sure if that info helps though. I also can't be sure of the type of blade that it's equipped with. All I know is that it's the one that came with it when purchased new. The engine is running a little higher than half way and the speed I drive, it's pretty fast, near full speed. My neighbors have repeatedly told me that they've never heard a mower sound like a swarm of bees, like this one does. Would that give any indication of which type of blades are installed on it?

I see that it has the deck wash system, but I'm reading that it contributes to rust, so I'm hesitant to give it a try.

semimechanicman

Threads
Maybe the speed that you are trying to mow is causing the deck clogging.

baxeckert

Forum Newbie
Threads
Maybe the speed that you are trying to mow is causing the deck clogging.
You just might be on to something. I'll give that a try. Thanks for the tip!

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Engine needs to be at full throttle when you mow. for best performance and the engine will cool better at full RPM. Plus the blades will spin faster
as a John Deere commercial said, "it's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast"

Last edited:

baxeckert

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine needs to be at full throttle when you mow. for best performance and the engine will cool better at full RPM.
as a John Deere commercial said, "it's not how fast you mow, it's how well you mow fast"
Full throttle noted, thanks!

APBeck

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had an XT-1 for about 3 years, use the deck wash every time I cut, and never had any rust. You just need to make sure you run it for a few minutes with no water after you're done cleaning to blow off excess water. Also, it's a good idea to clean any grass/debris from around the top of the spindles.

Graeden

Threads
Grass buildup will always occur on a mower deck, especially a stamped steel one. Wet grass will “stick” more then “dry” grass, as in do not mow for a couple of days after it rains. You can use a product such as one of the following: Mo-Deck, Gemplers Grass Shield, Titeseal or Arnold Armortek. They will help prevent build up for a time, but this requires continued reapplication when you notice build up to begin. You can also purchase a more expensive mower that has a fabricated deck which will lesson the build-up, yet it does not prevent it 10l%. Welcome to mowing!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no real reason to remove a grass build up under your deck
Leave it there unless you are mowing weeds that have seeded.
Decks used to be designed to be task specific
The actual deck profile needed to bag, throw or mulch properly is substantially different .
However because mower buyers are unbelievably cheap ( too cheap for their own good ) mower companies have cut costs by making universal decks.
Universal = just as poor doing one job as the other two.
Grass builds up because the air flow is too low at that point or there is a vortex being created
Allowing the grass to build up there fills in that bad spot , like a replaceable baffle ( which were used previously but got cut because customers were too cheap to buy them ) which used to be offered to convert a bagging deck to a mulching deck.

Just as long as you are running the blades at full speed and they are sharpish it will be fine