Mower buzzed after switched off and now tried to start if battery is connected

Grantgsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mower buzzed after switched off and now tried to start if battery is connected
Hey folks. 2006 bad boy ZT with 26 hp b/s engine. Was running the mower for the first time this year and I switched the key off. The engine died as it should but a loud buzzing continued. It sounded and felt like it was completely ng from the starter motor. I eventually was able to loosen the negative cable on the battery and it stopped. But when I tried to continue to loosen the cable it reconnected a bit and the motor then tried and tried to turn over and start ( I think the only reason it didn’t start was because the choke was pushed in and I had only run it enough to move it out of the garage when I first turned it off). While it was still trying to start I lifted the seat and even engaged the blade, thinking those would surely stop it but it kept trying to start. Finally got the negative cable off and it dutifully died. Does this sound like a relay or wiring or solenoid issue? Any suggestions how to narrow my search will be greatly appreciated! Thanks,

Grant

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Mower buzzed after switched off and now tried to start if battery is connected
I’m thinking your solenoid is stuck in the start position, engaging the starter. Disconnect the large cable going to the starter at the solenoid. Reconnect the battery cable and see if the buzzing is still there. No buzzing, you found your problem.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes it sounds like a relay
If it is energising the starter motor then remove the - lead from the battery then remove the + lead at the starter motor.
Hook the - back up to the battery and touch each relay till you feel the one that is buzzing.
Swap it with another one.
If it buzzes as well then you have a wiring fault, highly unlikely but does happen where a single strand of a frayed seat switch is making a poor contact .

Grantgsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys. I’ll give those a shot tomorrow and report back!

Grantgsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I disconnected the red cable to the starter and I touch the negative cable to the battery. None of the relays clicked or harmed or buzzed or anything. When I hooked the red cable back up to the starter and touch the negative cable to the negative battery terminal with the key in the on position, the starter attempted to engage. I tried this with the blade engaged and it did the same thing, which I did not think should be able to happen since the mower ordinarily cannot start with the blade engaged. So is this a starter/solenoid issue or a problem with my PTO switch?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
As I said in my previous reply, solenoid.

Grantgsr

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks, I’ll have to tackle that tomorrow. I will report back