Mower blades not turning

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Belts looked ok..took the deck off, everything seems to move freely, although 1 spindle makes a little noise, except the drive pulley tensioner won't move no matter how hard I push, pull or cuss..wonder if that might be my problem
Yes that will cause the belt to fall off
The tension pulley which should be on the run of belt that comes FROM the engine pulley hast to be able to swing on the tension to prevent the belt flapping

pops52

Threads
Yes that will cause the belt to fall off
The tension pulley which should be on the run of belt that comes FROM the engine pulley hast to be able to swing on the tension to prevent the belt flapping
Yeah..the belt is only a year old, I wouldn't think its stretched out yet..I have another belt I guess I could try it..really can't think of anything else causing this ...thanks to everyone responding

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah..the belt is only a year old, I wouldn't think its stretched out yet..I have another belt I guess I could try it..really can't think of anything else causing this ...thanks to everyone responding

If you remove the deck belt from the PTO, does the PTO work when you engage the switch?

pops52

Threads
I can hear it "click" but won't know if its turning

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I can hear it "click" but won't know if its turning
If it's the PTO clicking, and not just the switch, then that's very confusing. The click of the PTO itself is it getting about 13.5v and then magnetized, pulling the two components together. When that happens, when the engine is running, there's almost no way for the PTO pulley's to not turn.
Especially since it was only a few seconds from the time you disengaged it to when you reengaged it.

When I need to see something under the mower, when running, I'll prop my phone up somewhere on the ground level, and record video.
I suggest you try this method. I'm not sure what phone you have, but most of them today can record video. Aim the phone, click record, get on the running mower, engage the PTO, then simply watch the video.

Last edited:

pops52

Threads
Just sit on it and engage is. You'll probably hear it.

If it's the PTO clicking, and not just the switch, then that's very confusing. The click of the PTO itself is it getting about 13.5v and then magnetized, pulling the two components together. When that happens, when the engine is running, there's almost no way for the PTO pulley's to not turn.
Especially since it was only a few seconds from the time you disengaged it to when you reengaged it.

When I need to see something under the mower, when running, I'll prop my phone up somewhere on the ground level, and record video.
I suggest you try this method. I'm not sure what phone you have, but most of them today can record video. Aim the phone, click record, get on the running mower, engage the PTO, then simply watch the video.
Thanks..I was pretty sure if it was clicking..it was working.. Don't use a cell phone no friends, family calls land line..ill figure it out

gregjo1948

Threads
If you have the deck off, engage the pto and see if you can spin the drive pulley. If you can spin it, it's a faulty pto clutch.

Its Me

Threads
POPs 52, start with the basics, put the key in the one position, all safety switches in the correct position, with the motor not running, pull up on the electric clutch, should hear a snap, if not the wire may have been pulled out of the clutch or not even connected, burnt fuse ,or a bad PTO (Power take off) switch. let's go from there.