Mower blades not disengaging

Baby Billy

Threads
Popped a new deck belt on and replaced the missing blade return spring on my mower, but the blades are still engaged constantly. The spring appears to be doing its job as the bracket moves back into place.

Does this new belt just need to be broken in? Adjustments? When disengaged it has very little slack.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Your post gives us no clue as to what your problem might be. We are not psychic so you need to post the units model and serial numbers. From them we might be able to help you out. Without them we will only be guessing and the good techs on this forum hate guessing.

Baby Billy

Threads
I apologize. The mower is an lt3000 Craftsman with a 19hp Briggs. The attached picture is from when I first dropped the deck.

Attachments

• IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    719 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0192.jpg
    IMG_0192.jpg
    724.5 KB · Views: 12

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Do you have an ID tag under the seat?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads

Baby Billy

Threads
Yes, i've got a bad habit of getting parts off Amazon and it's not the first time they have messed me up.

917-276825

Attachments

• IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    524.1 KB · Views: 3

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
1/2 x 95-1/2 OC

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To dissengage the two brake pads have to be able to stop the pulleys moving so the slack will end up on the engine pulley
And of course the actual belt size and profile has to be correct
there is more to belts than lenght & width

Forest#2

Threads
And next time you are around Wal mart shell out about $4 and get a upholstery cloth tape measure in the sewing section about 1 inch wide by 80 inches long and start measueing the length of new belts and compare their length to what they are SUPPOSE TO BE and also measure the length of your old belts BEFORE YOU EVEN ATTEMPT INSTALLING NEW ONES.

It's not all about belt length but this gives you an idea if you are in the ball park if you are buying from Amazon and fleece bay other than OEM belts and also measure the OEM belts. Just measure the OD couple times and the OD on a new belt should be within 1/4 inch if they are around 60-100 inches inches and longer.

We need the model number of the mower from it's ID tag under the seat is where it's usually located and the width of the deck if it has more than one deck option.
That info you posted appears to be the under the hood info.
If that info on that label is a mis-label you will get the wrong belt.
Go by the Model number of the tractor and it's deck size per the IPL for the tractor.

Do not be surprised if it still does not dis-engauge because those type blade brakes I see in your picture are the wimpy/weak type and costly (jaw dropper type) to replace.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes, i've got a bad habit of getting parts off Amazon and it's not the first time they have messed me up.

917-276825
Unless your parts are no longer available, I wouldn't buy ebay/amazon junk. Some of it is okay. More like gambling though.