Mice in my engine or - I hate those mieces to pieces

ohiocowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Pick up a replacement carb online for $15-$20 (I replaced the carbs on my chainsaws for $15 and they worked great-cost same as a rebuld kit) and it will probably run better than it has for the last few years.

Lawn Addict
Threads
And get a cat.....

Bigyard

Forum Newbie
Threads
I save the net type bags/tubes that oranges and other fruits come in. Cut them into smaller pieces, put a few moth balls in them, cinch into a bag with old baler plastic twine.
I tie a small bag near/to the wiring in the dash, engine air cleaner housings and other places mice like to build nests and chew wiring. It only takes 2-3 bags per vehicle/tractor. By spring the mothballs have pretty much dissolved but meanwhile the mice leave the equipment and wiring alone, if your lucky.

donb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I looked up B&S replacement carb 499158 and it is out off stock at B&S, but Jacks Small Engines has it for $162.47! Yipes! Overhaulkit $125.99. Double Yipes!!
Amazon and ebay have knockoffs for about $22 for the carb, but are they any good?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ya git what you pay for.. $22. I'm thinking is a chinese knock-off

catman606

Threads
I looked up B&S replacement carb 499158 and it is out off stock at B&S, but Jacks Small Engines has it for $162.47! Yipes! Overhaulkit $125.99. Double Yipes!!
Amazon and ebay have knockoffs for about $22 for the carb, but are they any good?
I've bought several of the Chinese knockoffs from Amazon and Ebay for chainsaws and weedeaters and go karts, they've all ran great. The two cycle carbs they even sent the tool to adjust the air screws. Just be careful to get the correct one, get the number off your carb and then compare the pictures that it's the same as yours.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Was there enough rat nest on the cooling fins to cause an overheat?
Better clean those fins and all around the block. This is a YEARLY or more often maintenance item in your engine manual. Neglect this and you are asking for engine damage. These are air cooled engines. Several videos on youtube.

peteco

Threads
No problem with rat and mice, the problem are the 20 years.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
No problem with rat and mice, the problem are the 20 years.
So you think clogged cooling fins,,,, is,,, no issue? She's just old?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Donb, if the engine started smoking and liquid coming out of the muffler, this is a symptom of a rich running condition. No need to replace the carb, just a need to give it a little TLC, a good cleaning and rebuilding. Don’t waste your money on a clone carb for a thirty year old engine. You won’t be happy. You don’t really need a full overhaul kit, just needle/seat and float bowl gasket. Disassemble the carb and find a local repair shop which has an ultrasound cleaner. I used to run them through the shop for free if they bought the parts from me,