Mice in my engine or - I hate those mieces to pieces

donb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 20 year old DR brush mower with a B&S 10.5 hp I/O engine. I started it and in less than a minute it smoked from the exhaust and stalled. I looked it over a could see stuff sticking out from the engine housing. I found it full of mouse nest material, a recently dead mouse ( cooked?) and a couple of others jumped off. I cleaned it and got it started but it still smokes and stalls and had a few drops of black liquid leak from the exhaust after running a minute or so.

Ideas?

Mice got into the cylinder perhaps?

Any help please

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I doubt they got into the cylinder. And the black stuff could just be water mixed with the exhaust that is dripping out. After 20 years I would also suspect that it could be floating the valves a little bit due to seat and valve face wear. The stalling could also be carb related and could need a cleaning.

donb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the thoughts!
I wasn't clear though, it is 20+ years old but I do run it every year. Last run was this spring. I'll clean the carb.
Thanks Again

Don

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads

donb

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK: B&S 10.5 Hp I/O
Mod.28B702
Type 1133-E1
Code 92013021

ohiocowboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 20 year old DR brush mower with a B&S 10.5 hp I/O engine. I started it and in less than a minute it smoked from the exhaust and stalled. I looked it over a could see stuff sticking out from the engine housing. I found it full of mouse nest material, a recently dead mouse ( cooked?) and a couple of others jumped off. I cleaned it and got it started but it still smokes and stalls and had a few drops of black liquid leak from the exhaust after running a minute or so.

Ideas?

Mice got into the cylinder perhaps?

Any help please
Run a good quality engine/fuel system cleaner through it for a few tank of fresh fuel. Probably the ethynol has finally done it's dreaded deed to the fuel system. I spray the engine and surrounding components with diluted peppermint spray (They hate it) and soak a few cotton balls with the peppermint oil and leave them around the areas you want to keep the mice and chipmunks away from. That plus I leave a few baited traps laying on and around the machine during the off season. They will usually mess up the electrical wiring and air intake areas. The mice like to fill the cooling fin areas with nesting material. Blow that out with air compressor, if available, each Spring and occasionally during mowing season. ????❌❌❌❌

donb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Run a good quality engine/fuel system cleaner through it for a few tank of fresh fuel. Probably the ethynol has finally done it's dreaded deed to the fuel system. I spray the engine and surrounding components with diluted peppermint spray (They hate it) and soak a few cotton balls with the peppermint oil and leave them around the areas you want to keep the mice and chipmunks away from. That plus I leave a few baited traps laying on and around the machine during the off season. They will usually mess up the electrical wiring and air intake areas. The mice like to fill the cooling fin areas with nesting material. Blow that out with air compressor, if available, each Spring and occasionally during mowing season. ????❌❌❌❌
Good advice!
Thanks

donb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well. I drained the gas and added fresh gas with Stabil Engine Fix added ( thinking it could clean the carb), replaced the spark plug and air filter. I got it to start after perhaps a dozen pulls on the rope. It had some white smoke for 30 seconds or so and cleared up. I let it run for about 5 minutes with the throttle set 3/4 from idle and then moved it to full throttle and it began sputtering, smoking heavily and spitting black liquid from the exhaust before stalling. I'm sure these symptoms are telling me something, but I don't know what! Take the carb off to clean?

Richard Milhous

Threads
Was there enough rat nest on the cooling fins to cause an overheat?