MDT Edger Seized up??? B&S 3 hp

Craftsman Garage

Threads
1. yes 2. new to me but used 3.ok 4.no so that is is easier to start .

Craftsman Garage

Threads
  • photo 1(1).jpg
    photo 1(1).jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 8
  • photo 2(1).jpg
    photo 2(1).jpg
    159.6 KB
  • photo 3(1).jpg
    photo 3(1).jpg
    130.1 KB
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    103.6 KB ·
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    172.4 KB

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
To relay what I am looking at. Replacements parts are in short supply. Briggs made a ca'zillion of the 3 and 3.5hp horizontal engines. Now all of a sudden parts are gone. DON"T LOSE any small parts you have.

So the picture request was for me. I'm finding out Briggs had several linkage styles and methods to activate chokes and such. 3 different air filter styles for one series engine and so on. Every video I watch on McLane edgers, someone has a different carb linkage setup. Makes it hard for me, on my new to me used edger to get parts. Mine is missing all linkages, governor springs and has a Chinese carb on it. Thank the lord he kept the OEM Briggs carb for it. I would of thought there would be parts all over for these 3.5hp engines.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
thank you got it started, although I have another problem, feels like its running lean, do you know the correct carb adjust meant? only runs on choke and on fast throttle it shuts off. Thanks
Most likely the carb has a partial clog inside where you can't see it. Need to clean the OEM carb. Numerous youtube videos out there. Search for McLane edger carb videos. Requiring choke to run is a dirty carb. People leave fuel in the machine which turns to varnish and does what you are describing.

There is a pilot (slow idle speed) adjustment screw. In the below picture, the two carb mounting screws which one is missing, that flat bladed screw should be turned out 1.5 turns from full CW. Don't over torque that screw which is a needle INTO the carb. GENTLY turn it all the way in and loosen off 1.5 turns CCW.
44.png

Actually I've seen pilot jets that look like the one above. Some are a needle jet style and some have a flat end metering screw. If you remove it, if it has a pointed tip, it is the needle jet style. Those are 1.5 turns out CCW. The flat end screw, turn all the way in SOFTLY CW as the picture shows.

You still have a dirty carb that needs cleaning. Time to rebuild it.

Probably needs the tank dumped out and flushed too.

Clean the cylinder cooling fins all the way around the cylinder. Remove the engine shroud and look all around. There is also a backside cover with one 1/4" screw to remove.

Probably needs a valve clearance check.

slomo

slomo

sugartooth

Threads
I love this forum, but at times it is confusing to me and I have a few years repairing small engines. This fellow doesn't understand your replies so just advise him to go to a dealer, small one if nearby, and ask them to explain what all of you guys have been saying in trying to help.

sugartooth

Threads
I love this forum even though it calls me a newbie. I have been a member for a while, just not active. I think you have this fellow really confused by all the different answers. Just advise him to go to a dealer, small one if nearby, and get it fixed and ask the right answers.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I love this forum even though it calls me a newbie. I have been a member for a while, just not active. I think you have this fellow really confused by all the different answers. Just advise him to go to a dealer, small one if nearby, and get it fixed and ask the right answers.
A good seasoned tech should be able to get answers fast for the owner. Might cost a few bucks more but would be running.

slomo