Export thread

MDT Edger Seized up??? B&S 3 hp

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

MTD edger with a 3 hp briggs, how do I fix a seized briggs?????? very hard to pull.

I

ILENGINE

answer will depend on why it seized. Crankshaft/rod seizure and you are basically done. Something interfering with the flywheel would be a lot easier to fix. Bearings on the edger shaft after the belt is removed would just require bearing replacement.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

MTD edger with a 3 hp briggs, how do I fix a seized briggs?????? very hard to pull. idk why it seized? the cord pulled fine yesterday.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

in your other thread he said it pulled fine yesterday... if it didn't lock up while running, remove the spark plug and try to pull it... could be hydrolocked with gasoline. possibly.
1624032121071.png

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

how do I fix a hydro locked engine

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

first figure out if it's hydrolocked.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

while your there, get the engine I.D. info
Briggs and Stratton Engines model and type locator

Fish

Fish

Remove the plug and see how it pulls, we can go from there.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

how do I figure out if its hydro locked?? I'm all new to this stuff

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

ok

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

read my first post again
in your other thread he said it pulled fine yesterday... if it didn't lock up while running, remove the spark plug and try to pull it...

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

oh ok

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

MODEL ___ TYPE ___ CODE_
90212 ___ 0216 01 __91120503

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

yeah hasn't ran in a few years or something, just inherited it

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

MODEL ___ TYPE ___ CODE_
90212 ___ 0216 01 __91120503

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

hi

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

thank you got it started, although I have another problem, feels like its running lean, do you know the correct carb adjust meant? only runs on choke and on fast throttle it shuts off. Thanks
read my first post again

S

slomo

Is the oil at the top of the threads at the oil plug? Make sure you check the oil on flat ground.

Is this a new to you used edger?

Pour some Diesel, kerosene, acetone, naptha or any strong solvent into the spark plug hole. Transmission fluid is great too. See if it will break the piston free.

Do you have the blade in the down cutting position?

slomo

S

slomo

Post up pictures of your carburetor linkages. Remove the air filter housing. Would like to see the throttle cable, choke linkage, throttle and governor linkages please. I'm working on a 1993 3.5hp Briggs. There are several different types of linkage setups, air filters and so on. Trying to get replacement parts. Looks like yours is a 1991 era engine.

slomo

B

Born2Mow

Edger seized for no reason?​

I highly doubt that. There is always a "reason".
Your main job is to find it, or it will simply happen again.

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

1. yes 2. new to me but used 3.ok 4.no so that is is easier to start .

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

• photo 1(1).jpg
    photo 1(1).jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 8
  • photo 2(1).jpg
    photo 2(1).jpg
    159.6 KB
  • photo 3(1).jpg
    photo 3(1).jpg
    130.1 KB
  • photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    103.6 KB ·
  • photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    172.4 KB

S

slomo

To relay what I am looking at. Replacements parts are in short supply. Briggs made a ca'zillion of the 3 and 3.5hp horizontal engines. Now all of a sudden parts are gone. DON"T LOSE any small parts you have.

So the picture request was for me. I'm finding out Briggs had several linkage styles and methods to activate chokes and such. 3 different air filter styles for one series engine and so on. Every video I watch on McLane edgers, someone has a different carb linkage setup. Makes it hard for me, on my new to me used edger to get parts. Mine is missing all linkages, governor springs and has a Chinese carb on it. Thank the lord he kept the OEM Briggs carb for it. I would of thought there would be parts all over for these 3.5hp engines.

slomo

S

slomo

first figure out if it's hydrolocked.
Pulsa Jet carb alert on a 3hp Briggs horizontal. Tough to hydro lock one. Guess it could be done.

slomo

S

slomo

thank you got it started, although I have another problem, feels like its running lean, do you know the correct carb adjust meant? only runs on choke and on fast throttle it shuts off. Thanks
Most likely the carb has a partial clog inside where you can't see it. Need to clean the OEM carb. Numerous youtube videos out there. Search for McLane edger carb videos. Requiring choke to run is a dirty carb. People leave fuel in the machine which turns to varnish and does what you are describing.

There is a pilot (slow idle speed) adjustment screw. In the below picture, the two carb mounting screws which one is missing, that flat bladed screw should be turned out 1.5 turns from full CW. Don't over torque that screw which is a needle INTO the carb. GENTLY turn it all the way in and loosen off 1.5 turns CCW.
44.png

Actually I've seen pilot jets that look like the one above. Some are a needle jet style and some have a flat end metering screw. If you remove it, if it has a pointed tip, it is the needle jet style. Those are 1.5 turns out CCW. The flat end screw, turn all the way in SOFTLY CW as the picture shows.

You still have a dirty carb that needs cleaning. Time to rebuild it.

Probably needs the tank dumped out and flushed too.

Clean the cylinder cooling fins all the way around the cylinder. Remove the engine shroud and look all around. There is also a backside cover with one 1/4" screw to remove.

Probably needs a valve clearance check.

slomo

slomo

S

sugartooth

I love this forum, but at times it is confusing to me and I have a few years repairing small engines. This fellow doesn't understand your replies so just advise him to go to a dealer, small one if nearby, and ask them to explain what all of you guys have been saying in trying to help.

S

sugartooth

I highly doubt that. There is always a "reason".
Your main job is to find it, or it will simply happen again.

S

sugartooth

I love this forum even though it calls me a newbie. I have been a member for a while, just not active. I think you have this fellow really confused by all the different answers. Just advise him to go to a dealer, small one if nearby, and get it fixed and ask the right answers.

S

slomo

I love this forum even though it calls me a newbie. I have been a member for a while, just not active. I think you have this fellow really confused by all the different answers. Just advise him to go to a dealer, small one if nearby, and get it fixed and ask the right answers.
A good seasoned tech should be able to get answers fast for the owner. Might cost a few bucks more but would be running.

slomo

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

could you post a picture of your carburetor?

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

to slomo above

S

slomo

to slomo above
What exactly are you looking for.

Yes I can post some pics, be happy to. I have two McLane edgers. One is 1993 and other is a 2001.

slomo

Craftsman Garage

Craftsman Garage

ok please do

S

slomo

What exactly are you looking for?

Do you just want to look at some edgers or do you need a particular part in the pictures?