Masport clutch cable frayed after 15 mths use

Geluk

Forum Newbie
Threads
As you can see on attached image have partly frayed clutch cable; in bottom right is Masport's previous cable lug. This had failed but only after 10 years, but they redesigned to an eye loop lug that you thread nut & bolt through.

Obviously nowhere as durable :mad:, but outside 12 mth warranty.
Any suggestions as to how I may be able to salvage this appreciated:)
Cable fail.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Its called replace it.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you by chance tighten the bolt down tight that goes through the eye of the cable?

Geluk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes; gather that may be the issue; shame no guidance came with the part.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
yes needed to be just loose enough to pivot

Geluk

Forum Newbie
Threads
Managed to solder wire back together; the lug could pivot easily [see image/ definitely NOT pinched], so I still believe it's a manufacturing fault.
There's plenty of slack in cable should I need to pull some wire and make new termination; loads of YouTube videos on that.
I'd need to remove a section of the cable sheath from the middle to do this; is that viable?
Cable lug gap.jpg

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Managed to solder wire back together; the lug could pivot easily [see image/ definitely NOT pinched], so I still believe it's a manufacturing fault.
There's plenty of slack in cable should I need to pull some wire and make new termination; loads of YouTube videos on that.
I'd need to remove a section of the cable sheath from the middle to do this; is that viable?
View attachment 66824
If you soldered it, cannot see it holding. Imagine going to a dealer where you bought it and wanting a $12 dollar part covered under warranty.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Where are you located ?
as it is a Masport I will assume you are in OZ or NZ although now that Alco gobbled them up I have no idea where else they will try & flog the mowers .
I am in sydney & when this happens I go strait to Conwire and get them to make a new cable with a clevis end.
Sooooo much better than those cast on ends
When you pull on a cable it tries to unwind the strands so one ( both is better ) end has to be free to rotate .
This is why a properly designed cable system will have a ball at one end
If there is no facility to rotate every time you pull on that bail you bend the cable strands and if you bend them enough they will fatigue & fracture .
Nearly all of the torsional fracture surfaces you see in engineering texts are from bowden cables .
The UNSW lab staff tried for years to make a perfect torsional fatigue fracture specimen before I went there and gave them one of my old motorcycle cables .
It made a perfect sample for the Scanning Electron Microscope but too small for macroscope samples so they twisted up some "wire " using 1/8" high tensile rods the pulled on them till they broke
later on apparently when they had bigger gear they did the same with some 1/4" rod , laid up, unwound case hardened then laid up again & loaded into the linnear fatigue tester .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Masport mowers are now in the USA. One local dealer is in Winchester, TN

Apparently they have gone world wide now.

1695736985999.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Makes sense
Alco area fairly big mob is the EU that did not become part of the Stiga-GGC conglomerate to counter Husqvarna sucking up every brand in the EU .
So much for the competition that our supposed free market is based on
They did not make walk behinds but it will be interesting t see what they do with shredders as that was Alco's biggest line down here being that the ride ons were just not competative in either price nor quality
I had one of their ride on's in my run & was over the moon when he finally listened to what I said and sold it for a second hand Cox 1988 Cox compact.
I use Cox & Greenfields as loaners for when I get overwhelmed & he liked the 1986 Cox compact that he had been using he bought one for himself . Says a lot when some one finds a 1988 mower better & easier to use than a 2015 one .

Last edited: