LX176. Gutting out wiring ?

delwaysta

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am trying to simplifying the wiring on the 176. Not getting a strong spark off the kawaski to fire. Replaced coil and igniter already. I am thinking there is other issues. Any help appreciated.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A "strong spark?" How are you determining it is weak? IMO wiring should be checked before tearing anything out or trying new routing.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You should get a good 1/4 inch of jump of spark if it is strong.

BBO

Threads
I am trying to simplifying the wiring on the 176. Not getting a strong spark off the kawaski to fire. Replaced coil and igniter already. I am thinking there is other issues. Any help appreciated.

On my LX188 the plug to the voltage regulator was bad.
If yours has this pull it apart to see if it looks like this.
LX188_VR_Plug_C600_6-13-14 002.jpg

delwaysta

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have no spark per say. Going to ohm out igniter and replacement coil and check magnet for cracks. Already bypassed seat and have p- brake locked but not sure if I am going about it right. Tried starting with v- regulator unplugged to see if it would start. But no. Was the answer I got. Pulling what remaining hair I have. I really don't want to swap out engines. Like the kawa it seems to run good when it ran.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are saying you changed the coil and the timing module (igniter) you are getting spark but its weak? Now you did set the coil air gap right. You didn't install the new coil upside down? You have nothing left here if you are getting a weak spark, so I would say the new coil is bad.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I forgot to tell you also when you are testing the ignition for spark always isolate the engine from the chassis so you know what you are looking for engine problem or chassis problem.

delwaysta

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have gapped the coil with a buisness card and it is installed correctly Using a jumper wire from battery to solenoid to cranks motor with key to on position I would have thought I would get spark. If not please explain how I isolate motor from chassis. Brain locked up :confused2::confused2:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Disconnect the neg. kill wire to the module. I am working on different brand engines so some are different then others so I don't know what you have. Which module do you have the small one on the side of the engine block or the one in the ignition switch as I recall the John Deere FC420V Kawasaki came both ways.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
On my LX188 the plug to the voltage regulator was bad.
If yours has this pull it apart to see if it looks like this.
View attachment 26958

That nylon connector plug looks exactly like the one that caused problems on my craftsman dyt 4000. I finally just cracked it open with pliers to look at the pins/sockets which were badly corroded. IMO the corrosion was dropping voltage (resistance) so I finally hard wired.