LTH 130 electrical problem

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Starter gear is on the end of the starter shaft. Once you remove the shroud you will see it.

trooper1954

Threads
Thanks guys....sorry for the delayed update but it is indeed the starter gear not engaging with the flywheel....now do I remove the whole starter or the split ring at the top of it to remove the gear? Both gears seem fine, so I'm not sure why they are not meshing?
Thanks

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There won't be enough clearance to remove the gear without at least loosening the starter.

trooper1954

Threads
Thanks Ilengine...but is that the method I should use, or should I replace the whole starter? Not really sure how to proceed?
Thanks

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Thanks Ilengine...but is that the method I should use, or should I replace the whole starter? Not really sure how to proceed?
Thanks

Auto parts store will test starters for free...not sure about a mower starter, but you could ask.

If it tests bad, I would price a new one, as your level of expertise seems to be more toward a starter swap than a rebuild of the starter.

But for experience you could break it down and try to rebuild it. You would probably never use that experience again.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Drive gear is about $ 5, whole Bendix is about $ 20 complete starter is about $ 100.
You know your own wallet, mechanical skills and time pressures.

trooper1954

Threads
Update....loosened off the starter and visually checked the gear...it's worn, but not excessively....then I noticed the flywheel where the starter gear should meet it has two cogs missing....a flat spot. I turned it manually to a different spot, turned the ignition and the mower fired up. My question is, is it normal to have a flywheel with such a flat spot, and if not, should I replace the flywheel?
Thanks all.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No there should be a complete circle of teeth all of equal length.
If it is an alloy ring gear it is replaeable if it is cast iron it will be a replacement flywheel

trooper1954

Threads
Thanks Bert... any idea of the process to get at the flywheel, and if so, will it be obvious whether it's a cast flywheel or otherwise?
I'd like to get to it so I can determine what to replace?
Thanks.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Iron & steel will stick to a magnet
Alloy will not when you get it off it will be obvious.
no bolts means it does not come apart.

To pull the flywheel I use a two leg puller & rattle gun as I have had far too many "genuine B & S " pullers strip out the thread.
Een worse the ner ones are not threadded so by the time you thread the holes, find some high tensile bolts , it is faster to use the 2 leg puller.