LT1000 (31C707) Acts like valves need adjustment

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Good luck. Hope the governor/oil slinger didnt take a lick. Last three camshaft ACR failure took out the governor and it took me a month to get three governors and still havent seen any Briggs OEM camshafts. I had to use junk after market camshafts just to get the customer's mowers going.

Gord Baker

Threads
It sounds like the compression release mechanism. Have a Load Test done on your fully charged Battery. Don't jump it from a running vehicle. Set valves Cold at the correct TDC. Check Manual for lash/gap.

dcohick

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just had that issue, and the magnet in the starter housing were broken. Pulled starter off another unit I had here and works great now!

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Whatever you do do not bang on the starter it has ceramic magnets and you will break them and ruin your starter.

crawford111

Threads
did you check you valve clearances if not mine was 4 intake 4 exhaust thousands

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
if we read back we see the OP did not have an ACR bump when he watched the valves.

dahyippur

Threads
What stroke were the valves adjusted on specifically? There are 2 TDC spots on a 4 smoke engine.
It sounds like the compression release mechanism. Have a Load Test done on your fully charged Battery. Don't jump it from a running vehicle. Set valves Cold at the correct TDC. Check Manual for lash/gap.
did you check you valve clearances if not mine was 4 intake 4 exhaust thousands

I set the intake to .004 & exhaust to .006. I usually set one valve while the other is open, is this bad practice?

Threads
I set the intake to .004 & exhaust to .006. I usually set one valve while the other is open, is this bad practice?
If your ACR on the cam took a dump.... I wouldn't run that engine at all. Those lil pieces will cause more damage ...... It does pay to tear it down and replace the the cam instead of swapping to a new engine ..... I have sold many of cams for those model engines.....