LT1000 (31C707) Acts like valves need adjustment

dahyippur

Threads
I have a craftsman LT1000 with the briggs 17.5 31C707 engine. Flywheel was turning really slow while trying to start, so I figured it needed a valve adjustment again. Adjusted the valves twice and no changes. Flywheel spins freely with the plug out. What could be the problem?

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it turn slow or kick back? Turn it backward against rotation until it comes back to compression and see if it will start.

dahyippur

Threads
Does it turn slow or kick back? Turn it backward against rotation until it comes back to compression and see if it will start.
When I hold the key down it doesn't budge, slowly turns, then lurches forward and repeats the cycle. I just did the valves and both rods seem to be opening the valves. I'll have to wait until the morning to get back at it

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
When I hold the key down it doesn't budge, slowly turns, then lurches forward and repeats the cycle. I just did the valves and both rods seem to be opening the valves. I'll have to wait until the morning to get back at it
Remove the spark plug. Put your thumb over the spark plug hole and turn the engine by hand until you feel compression. Then stop and reinstall the plug and wire. Now, get on the mower, choke it and try to crank it.

Cusser

Threads
I also have 2005-purchased LT1000 with the Briggs 31C707 engine. By early 2010s I also have issue of slow cranking, kept adjusting the valves, getting the battery checked or replaced, kept the battery on a charger.

Then in 2013, apparently while mowing the weeds in the pasture, I developed an oil leak somewhere and the oil leaked out, destroying the engine. I ended up buying a replacement 31P677 0912G5 engine online which was a couple more hp and also had a spin-on oil filter, and it was very easy to install. Since then, I no longer need to do the battery charger thing and have not needed to do a valve adjustment either. So basically the new engine took care of several issues.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a craftsman LT1000 with the briggs 17.5 31C707 engine. Flywheel was turning really slow while trying to start, so I figured it needed a valve adjustment again. Adjusted the valves twice and no changes. Flywheel spins freely with the plug out. What could be the problem?

What stroke were the valves adjusted on specifically? There are 2 TDC spots on a 4 smoke engine.

dahyippur

Threads
Watched the valves today and didn't see any bump for compression release. Seems like it'll start reliably if I turn the flywheel to the end of the the combustion stroke by hand then turn it over. Hopefully I can make it to the end of the season