Low Power and getting worse on INTEK 19hp (33R877)

Alan46

Threads
Back together and running at full power. Mowed pretty high grass with ease. After market cam intake lobe was worn off to almost round. Found some silver sludge in the bottom of the crankcase from the lobe. Fresh oil and filter and all seems well. I did put the OEM carb back on.
Thanks for the update.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
After looking at some bad camshaft reviews on Amazon, it seems several people had worn lobes after anywhere from 20 hours to a couple years. I just ordered the OEM camshaft. I don't go cheap on replacement car parts, guess the lawn mower is no different...live and learn.
So you are telling me an aftermarket camshaft had worn lobe after 20 hours of use? I find that difficult to believe, at best. I have put in more than one aftermarket camshaft when the compression release mechanism breaks, and have never had a comeback.

TobyU

Threads
So you are telling me an aftermarket camshaft had worn lobe after 20 hours of use? I find that difficult to believe, at best. I have put in more than one aftermarket camshaft when the compression release mechanism breaks, and have never had a comeback.
I didn't either.... Until I did!
I had an aftermarket fall in 17 hrs.
No lobes were worn but they were slipping and spinning on the splines that are supposed to hold them in place.
Lousy quality metal and likely assembly too.
I used a number of aftermarket with no issues but that was several years ago.
This one that failed was purchased May 2021 and failed Sept 18 2021.

I didn't have any issues with previous ones.
I replaced that one (again) with a Briggs with a newer longer part number and this is it's 3rd season on that Briggs replacement camshaft.

Maybe by now they have improved the aftermarket ones or maybe some are better than others although most all I have seen look identical like they were all made in same factory but who knows...
I have no faith in any of their quality and I don't have much more faith in the Briggs part as the original ones fail FAR too many times and they haven't improved the design one noticeable bit.

jayswailes

Forum Newbie
Threads
Back together and running at full power. Mowed pretty high grass with ease. After market cam intake lobe was worn off to almost round. Found some silver sludge in the bottom of the crankcase from the lobe. Fresh oil and filter and all seems well. I did put the OEM carb back on.
After Market Cams are not worth the time or the money. I had to redo five customers engines that had after market cams installed at a different shop. All five runs great now oem cams.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
After Market Cams are not worth the time or the money. I had to redo five customers engines that had after market cams installed at a different shop. All five runs great now oem cams.
I have used aftermarket camshafts and no problems. Remember, many of these OEM parts are made in China also, just to different specs and tolerances.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Very different experience here as I installed three after market camshaft and all three failed withing six months. This back when Briggs cams was so hard to come by then I found the two software misplaced OEM cams. So I haven't even tried any further after market camshafts. On my fourth camshaft replacement this year, all have been replaced the newer OEM camshaft.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I didn't either.... Until I did!
I had an aftermarket fall in 17 hrs.
No lobes were worn but they were slipping and spinning on the splines that are supposed to hold them in place.
Lousy quality metal and likely assembly too.
I used a number of aftermarket with no issues but that was several years ago.
This one that failed was purchased May 2021 and failed Sept 18 2021.

I didn't have any issues with previous ones.
I replaced that one (again) with a Briggs with a newer longer part number and this is it's 3rd season on that Briggs replacement camshaft.

Maybe by now they have improved the aftermarket ones or maybe some are better than others although most all I have seen look identical like they were all made in same factory but who knows...
I have no faith in any of their quality and I don't have much more faith in the Briggs part as the original ones fail FAR too many times and they haven't improved the design one noticeable bit.
It depends where you buy them from
Never ever had anything fail that was bought from Alibaba ( not ali-express ) or Made in China .
OTOH have had so many failures with stuff bought on Amazon or Ebay that I stopped buying stuff from there near a decade ago .