Loud banging noise when starting B&S

LostInMO

Threads
There is spark.

I dipped the end of the spark plug in gas and put the plug back in...did not run.

dougand3

Threads
I doubt that is enough fuel. Spray 2 secs of WD-40 or such in plug hole and try.

keakar

Threads
That just stupid. I guess you can drop the deck or take the belt off to the deck and see if you still get the clunk noise. I still think its a starter problem personally.
the way this design works is there are large springs on the back of the deck so as you lower the deck it makes the springs pull the deck back tensioning the deck belt

its a variation of the concept used on single speed trannys using the variable pulley to tension the drive belt but in this case they shift the deck position to tension the deck belt

and i agree its not the best design

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
The noise sounds like it may be the screen on top of the flywheel is rubbing, perhaps.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take the air filter off and pour a dribble of gas in.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here is a video. Hopefully it helps to understand what is going on.

The battery is hooked up correctly.

Link to video:
Was that video shot under water? Throw that potato camera away.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Far as it not starting with loose engine mount bolts, doesn't the engine block bolt to the frame and create the - ground path back to the battery? If that is so, no wonder it wasn't starting. In that case there was a poor ground. Or is there a ground strap on the engine block that later connects to the - post? I'd have to see that engine setup to find out.

slomo

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
? guess a crank pin/con rod with l o o s e tolerances would make a noise while cranking?