Loud banging noise when starting B&S

JimP2014

Threads
Hi,

I have a 14.5HP Briggs engine and was able to get it running right, very smooth. As of today when
turning the key their is a loud banging noise and then it runs fine. So now every time
you start the engine their is a loud clanging noise and it goes way after the engine
runs for maybe a second or two. If it is the engine and not some issue with the mower deck,
what could cause this initial noise that then goes a way fairly quick?

Thanks,

Jim

Wildcat

Threads
Sounds like the starter...more specifically the bendix key.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Make sure the engine mounting bolts are tight to the frame. The will back out about 1/16 of a turn and allow the engine to move on the frame and will clunk loudly most times at start up and shut down.

NorthBama

Threads
Make sure the engine mounting bolts are tight to the frame. The will back out about 1/16 of a turn and allow the engine to move on the frame and will clunk loudly most times at start up and shut down.

i agree

JimP2014

Threads
Thanks to all who have replied. I did not mention that the problem seems to have started
after I disabled the kill switch under the seat. The reason for doing this was because the
engine would just cut-out for no reason. Now the engine runs fine. I will keep the above
in mind and check these things out. It might also be the deck/blades. But the main thing
is I am hoping the issue is not a connecting rod or some other internal engine part. And the
replies thus far indicate, 'no not an internal engine part' - a good thing.

Thanks again,

Jim

Wildcat

Threads
..... It might also be the deck/blades.....

I might be reading to much into this part but are you starting the mower with the PTO turned on? If so that might be another reason for the clunk you hear.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I might be reading to much into this part but are you starting the mower with the PTO turned on? If so that might be another reason for the clunk you hear.

I was thinking the same thing

JimP2014

Threads
I am not trying to start with PTO engaged. It is a weird setup where the height and the PTO are the same
lever. Pulling up all the way is how you disengage the PTO. It might be this.

Jim

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am not trying to start with PTO engaged. It is a weird setup where the height and the PTO are the same lever. Pulling up all the way is how you disengage the PTO. It might be this. Jim

Take the deck belt off and see if there is any change.

JimP2014

Threads
"Take the deck belt off and see if there is any change. "

Good plan. I will post back with the results.

Jim