Loosing drive power instantly after pressing drive pedal

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
  • / Loosing drive power instantly after pressing drive pedal
Belt routing and condition of the belt.
Condition of the pully bearings.
Nothing caught up in the belts or pulleys.
If those all check out, then it almost has to be the transmission.

MasterBaiter77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Post transaxle make & all numbers from sticker.
Scroll down page & click on LTX Models for Service Repair Manual, see sections 5 & 6.
618-04683
s/n 7E091Q4

Sorry this took so long, today was the first day I could get back to the mower in question. I took the mower for another test drive today. Noticed mower would move slowly in reverse most of the time (inclines were still a problem).
LTX1040 transaxle.JPG

enigma-2

Threads
Just to clarify, when engaging the drive, does it pull the engine down (acting like the drive system or transmission is stuck) or, the engine stays strong and the drive system refuses to transfer the power (ex. belt slipping or idler spring weak) ?

MasterBaiter77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just to clarify, when engaging the drive, does it pull the engine down (acting like the drive system or transmission is stuck) or, the engine stays strong and the drive system refuses to transfer the power (ex. belt slipping or idler spring weak) ?
There is initial drive system power (full power in FWD or REV), but then there seems to be no drive traction at all. REV is able to maintain a very slow speed, but any type of incline cause the mower to come to a slow stop. If I let my foot off the "gas" pedal and then apply full pressure to the pedal again, the mower lurches FWD/REV and then instantly looses drive momentum. I'm sorry if I'm describing this wrong. I'm not really familiar with the mechanical jargon.

The engine sounds like it is "staying strong" and has no issue engaging the blades. The belts on the mower are the originals, but are not in horrible shape (mower has always been stored inside a garage when not being used). Am I wrong to assume that a slipping belt would make a squeaking noise? Also, I am assuming that a slipping belt would not provide full power initially?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Both your assumptions are wrong. Slipping belts don’t always make noise and worn belts will grab until they warm up. Only a trained tech can diagnose belt condition by looking at it. If your belt has not been changed in the last three years I would start by installing a new OEM belt.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
There is initial drive system power (full power in FWD or REV), but then there seems to be no drive traction at all. REV is able to maintain a very slow speed, but any type of incline cause the mower to come to a slow stop. If I let my foot off the "gas" pedal and then apply full pressure to the pedal again, the mower lurches FWD/REV and then instantly looses drive momentum. I'm sorry if I'm describing this wrong. I'm not really familiar with the mechanical jargon.

The engine sounds like it is "staying strong" and has no issue engaging the blades. The belts on the mower are the originals, but are not in horrible shape (mower has always been stored inside a garage when not being used). Am I wrong to assume that a slipping belt would make a squeaking noise? Also, I am assuming that a slipping belt would not provide full power initially?

I understand what you're saying. It lunges when you first press the pedal, and almost immediately it's like the belt isn't gripping. Pardon the pun, sort of like a "catch & release."