Loosing drive power instantly after pressing drive pedal

MasterBaiter77

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Loosing drive power instantly after pressing drive pedal
Got a LTX1040 with a drive pedal and break pedal (apparently there is a version that has a forward pedal and a reverse pedal?). The problem I'm having is as soon as I press the drive pedal (doesn't matter if FWD or REV on the gear shift) the tractor with go in that direction at full power but then speed drops completely. If I then release the drive pedal and press the pedal again, the tractor will move at full speed for a second and then nothing again. I can do this indefinitely, but my neck and back would hate me at the end of mowing my lawn. I can hear the engine go under load when I initially press the drive pedal, but after the first second it sounds like it's idle again. Engaging the blade works just fine and makes no difference to the drive train problem I'm experiencing.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Post transaxle make & all numbers from sticker.
Scroll down page & click on LTX Models for Service Repair Manual, see sections 5 & 6.

Last edited:

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sounds like a bad drive belt. When was the last time you changed it?

enigma-2

Threads
Highly unlikely that a belt would cause this. Weak belts would slip and not drive but engine would continue to provide power.

Problem is either a bad transaxle or a frozen pulley. When drive is engaged, belt grips but something downstream is frozen and causing belt to stop (engine can't turn if belt can't turn).

With engine off, try hand turning idler pulley and test for rotation. Best test is to remove drive belt and run engine.

Really sounds to me like the transaxle is locked up.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I kinda wish posters would at least take time to look up what they posting about before sticking their dirty foot in their mouth. Also you must carefully read what is posted and understand what is being said. In this the motion drive is losing speed and not the engine if I am reading things correctly.

The Cub Cadet LTX1040 uses CVT transaxle system just like many other MTD mowers. As Rivets posted it is likely one of the two drive belts. I would lean toward the CVT to transaxle belt just because it wears out the quickest.

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
My youngest son & I just performed above procedure in my older sons 2010 Simplicity Conquest 4x4 with 23h.p. Vanguard. Rear transaxle K664C would not move in reverse. After removing deck, inspecting drive belt, idler pulleys, fluid level, etc. called John at Tuff Torque. Watched Taryl's youtube video on replacing center case, cylinder block assemblies, seals, new fluid. John suggested I order repair kit, seal kit, seal installation tool kit, fluid, stand for working on transaxle. Started Sat. a.m., R&R Repair Kit, let unit set up overnight so cases sealant could bond, completed reinstallation & adding fluid after church Sunday p.m. Checked fluid level in front transaxle as well, was full. Test drove unit checking operation & for leaks, everything checked out well. I'm exceptionally proud of my sons, they do the work, I assist when needed & supervise. My older son saved $'s by having his brother & dad working on unit.
John at Tuff Torque is a professional intelligible knowledgeable man, you can reach him at: 1-866-572-3441 ext. 4190

Last edited:

enigma-2

Threads
I was responding to the engine bolging down under load when the OP wrote "I can hear the engine go under load when I initially press the drive pedal, but after the first second it sounds like it's idle again.".

If he meant that the engine remained strong, I misinterpreted his meaning and apologize to all. But if the engine pulls down to idle under load, I stand by the drive system sized at some point.

"Dirty foot"? What's wrong with you?

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
StarTech,
Young man watch your language when posting, if you do not have anything positive to say then do not post it. Quit badgering folks & act mature. This Forum is in the business of helping, aiding, & assisting folks. Thanks, Mark

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
StarTech,
Young man watch your language when posting, if you do not have anything positive to say then do not post it. Quit badgering folks & act mature. This Forum is in the business of helping, aiding, & assisting folks. Thanks, Mark
Okay I quit.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
StarTech,

Hey quit badgering @StarTech. LMAO.. I'm kidding.