Looking to repower my Snapper with GXV160

timc1018

Threads
The Honda GXV160UH2A1AS is the Snapper spec engine. The Northern Tool engine has the same crankshaft. It is actually not 'tapered' but stepped from 1" to 7/8" as you will notice your drive belt pulley is 1" ID and your blade adapter is 7/8".
The Snapper spacer is required to position your blade correctly. Without, it will be hitting the deck lip. You will also need a new flywheel brake cable (from Snapper) as it needs to be longer.
The Northern Tool should work just fine, but do your local businesses a favor and shop local.
That is exactly what I have determined. I ordered the GXV160UH2A12. Stepped Crank (1" down to 7/8"). With the engine raised up with the spacer, from the diagrams, Snapper added three washers between the Blade Hub and the Crank to lower the Blade Hub to compensate for the deck spacer raising the Blade Hub.

The Throttle and Blade Brake (on engine) are on opposite side of their respective handle mounts so the cables have to cross over, which explains the longer Brake Cable. I order both the Brake and Throttle cables. I've been ordering parts using the CP215520HV (7800849-00) as a parts source reference, as from what I can see in the diagrams the basic chassis/handle layout is the same as my P216012 (year 2000 HV with 6.0 Briggs)

I have tried to buy local, called two local Snapper and Honda Dealers, but they don't return my calls. I tried to buy the Engine Local as well. I've called both at least twice, leaving messages then actually talking to a parts person that tells me he will call me back and never does. I guess they don't need the business. I ended up going mail-order for Engine and Parts.

keakar

Threads
Wow that is spendy for just a spacer! But if it's needed it's needed. I have an older snapper with the GXV120 on it. In my case that engine came on the mower and configured for it. It doesn't need a spacer but it's probably a bit different shape or size or something that the 160. I must agree, if you're going to repower with a new engine a Honda engine is the way to go.
just add the nuts and screw them down all the way, then add washers and set the engine on it, and theres your 1/4" spacer, all for about $1

timc1018

Threads
I thought about that, but adding washers will create air-gap between engine and deck for stuff to blow thru. I don't mind buying the spacer.

Honda Tech

Threads
The air gap wouldn't be an issue. The blade actually creates a vacuum an would draw air in through the spacing until your bag filled and it had no where else to go.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
The air gap wouldn't be an issue. The blade actually creates a vacuum an would draw air in through the spacing until your bag filled and it had no where else to go.

Actually when mulching, you will get grass blowing UP out of every hole in the deck. Just wait till you scalp the yard LOL. This would be dramatically exagerated if you had the bagging blade on with the wing tips bolted to it.

slomo

timc1018

Threads
So I've ordered all the parts to install the GXV160, as well as replacing bearings in the drive system and wheels and a few other worn out parts. Should be here in a week or two as some were not in stock, so while waiting on parts I decided to clean up the deck a bit. Deck is in pretty decent shape, but went ahead and just sanded the areas that were rusty, then painted over with POR15, then painted over the POR with oil based Red rustoleum paint. Used a brush, and only painted over the area's that were bad, as I'd still like it to look like a 20yr old lawnmower, just in good shape. Maybe at some point I'll pull it all apart and spray the deck when I have more time. Right now to many car projects to finish. I'll post pic's when it's complete.....

timc1018

Threads
Got it running today and cut the yard. Very quiet/smooth engine as expected. Installed the Oregon 121 Blade, excellent cut, and only had to make one pass. With the Briggs and Ninja blade I was making two passes each time to get a good cut. The Briggs was old and getting to the point where it wanted to choke on the grass, even with new blades (Both Snapper) where as the Honda just powered right thru. I should be good to go for another 20yrs years, looks like the mower will out last me this time....I am back to enjoying cutting the grass again.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
So I've ordered all the parts to install the GXV160, as well as replacing bearings in the drive system and wheels and a few other worn out parts. Should be here in a week or two as some were not in stock, so while waiting on parts I decided to clean up the deck a bit. Deck is in pretty decent shape, but went ahead and just sanded the areas that were rusty, then painted over with POR15, then painted over the POR with oil based Red rustoleum paint. Used a brush, and only painted over the area's that were bad, as I'd still like it to look like a 20yr old lawnmower, just in good shape. Maybe at some point I'll pull it all apart and spray the deck when I have more time. Right now to many car projects to finish. I'll post pic's when it's complete.....
I sand/wire brush the deck to remove heavy/loose rust. Wipe clean with window cleaner, leaves nothing behind. Then put some Corroseal to convert the rust. Apply primer then Krylon Gloss Red. Hit areas like the bolt-on plastic mower chute location and such. This process works for me. Never any returning rust.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Got it running today and cut the yard. Very quiet/smooth engine as expected. Installed the Oregon 121 Blade, excellent cut, and only had to make one pass. With the Briggs and Ninja blade I was making two passes each time to get a good cut. The Briggs was old and getting to the point where it wanted to choke on the grass, even with new blades (Both Snapper) where as the Honda just powered right thru. I should be good to go for another 20yrs years, looks like the mower will out last me this time....I am back to enjoying cutting the grass again.
Great job on getting the old girl back up and running again.

What do you think about the Oregon 99-121? I love it, on dry grass.

slomo

timc1018

Threads
Great job on getting the old girl back up and running again.

What do you think about the Oregon 99-121? I love it, on dry grass.

slomo

I made two changes, engine and blade. Now, only takes one pass for a clean cut. The Briggs was choking on some of the grass, and the Honda did not, but the Briggs was 20yrs old. I'll make a few more cuts to get a better feel, then put the Ninja blade back on. This should give me a better idea if it is blade/engine or combination. But I will say with the Honda and 121 blade, I am very happy. Thanks for the recommendation.