Looking to repower my Snapper with GXV160

timc1018

Threads
I found a GSV engine, but the crank is 5.6mm longer than the Briggs Crank (85.9mm) Will the additional crank length cause a problem?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IT will change the air flow under the deck .
And of course it will cut 5mm lower on every setting.

timc1018

Threads
IT will change the air flow under the deck .
And of course it will cut 5mm lower on every setting.
Nevermind, The GSV series won't work due to the Shaft/Key sizes. I'm prob going with the GXV160.

timc1018

Threads
I found a version of the GSV190 that may work, so I ordered a GSV190 and a GXV160 from Northern Tool today. I’ll see which one is easier to install and send back the other. I hit all of the online parts houses to figure out crank pulley and key, and the blade hub. Found Snapper models that use a variety of crank dimensions. Hopefully the engine brake cable and the throttle are fairly standard. Looks like both engines will require the spacer ring, the GX for clearance and the GS due to longer crank shaft to raise the blade a few mm. I’ll see how it goes. Really like the Snapper Chassis and Rear drive system.

Edit: Changed first sentence for clarity and accuracy, as I mistyped before.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
May I ask what's all the praise on the GXV engines? I've owned a couple. I've used all Honda types that were under powered. They just don't punch through the tall grass like a Briggs or Kawi. Not trying to start a brand war here. I guess the engine spec sheets tell it all. The GXV160 has the torque of a 140cc Briggs.

slomo

timc1018

Threads
May I ask what's all the praise on the GXV engines? I've owned a couple. I've used all Honda types that were under powered. They just don't punch through the tall grass like a Briggs or Kawi. Not trying to start a brand war here. I guess the engine spec sheets tell it all. The GXV160 has the torque of a 140cc Briggs.

slomo
Where did I praise the GXV? I don't believe I ever said it was better or worse than my old Briggs, I think I just said that I wanted to install a GXV or GSV on my Snapper to replace my worn out 20 year old Briggs.

tim

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Where did I praise the GXV? I don't believe I ever said it was better or worse than my old Briggs, I think I just said that I wanted to install a GXV or GSV on my Snapper to replace my worn out 20 year old Briggs.

tim
You didn't praise anything Tim. Good luck with your Honda engine sir :).

slomo

timc1018

Threads
The Briggs actually lasted 20years with no real maint and running low in oil a few times so I’d have to say it was darn good engine. I just always liked the design of the GXV and the overall “tone” of the honda engines so I’ve been wanting to try one for the last few years. The Briggs really started knocking the last time I cut so I figured now is a good time while I have a back up Snapper to use. I’ll sell it to offset the cost of the Honda once it’s up and running.

upupandaway

Threads
Timc - Before u bolt down the motor, measure the length of the shaft and compare. Snapper deck is pretty deep. They sell a blade mount that is also a spacer and lowers the blade another 5/8(ithink).

Happy mowing!

Honda Tech

Threads
The Honda GXV160UH2A1AS is the Snapper spec engine. The Northern Tool engine has the same crankshaft. It is actually not 'tapered' but stepped from 1" to 7/8" as you will notice your drive belt pulley is 1" ID and your blade adapter is 7/8".
The Snapper spacer is required to position your blade correctly. Without, it will be hitting the deck lip. You will also need a new flywheel brake cable (from Snapper) as it needs to be longer.
The Northern Tool should work just fine, but do your local businesses a favor and shop local.