Looking for help

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'll take $850 on "what are the symptoms of installing a cheap carb" please.

HelpNeed3d

Threads
I'll take $850 on "what are the symptoms of installing a cheap carb" please.

Thanks for all of the information and suggestions. You all helped me confirm what I already suspected. The after market carburetor was the issue.

I soaked the old carb and cleaned the jets, used the gasket, Oring etc. from the new carb and put the old carb back on the mower. Everything is running like a champ now!

thanks again for all the help!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We see this day in and day out
I see it almost daily in the workshop
But every time we warn people that the bulk of the cheap carbs are junk some one always chimes in with "I have bought X and all mine were perfect "
As you have found out it is very much an unluckydip
Glad to hear you have it running now go mow .

fastbroshi

Forum Newbie
Threads
Does it bark back when you turn the key? Does it sound like it has compression?
To be more specific, there's two types of sound you'll hear: 1) a rythmic thump thump thump, or 2) a linear hum, like the starter is turning with no resistance. Which one does yours sound like?

In any case, my money is on the carb. No reason to believe it is faulty at this point.

Edit: crap, I missed his post of triumph. Glad it worked out for ya.

Gord Baker

Threads
What do you think this is telling you? Wrong carb right?

Was this an OEM Briggs carb? Doesn't sound like it. Going to have to boil clean out the Briggs carb. Check for vacuum leaks.

Here's another one to add to your bag of tricks. Dump and flush out the fuel tank.

Valve adjustment time couldn't hurt.

Is it over-heating causing poor power output? Are the cooling fins clean? Take pictures of the block and cooling fins. Post them up here.
Blowing out the Fuel line is also one less thing to suspect. You may have to drill out the jet. Check Governor spring if there is/was one.

fzullo

Forum Newbie
Threads
What do you think this is telling you? Wrong carb right?

Was this an OEM Briggs carb? Doesn't sound like it. Going to have to boil clean out the Briggs carb. Check for vacuum leaks.

Here's another one to add to your bag of tricks. Dump and flush out the fuel tank.

Valve adjustment time couldn't hurt.

Is it over-heating causing poor power output? Are the cooling fins clean? Take pictures of the block and cooling fins. Post them up here.
So if the carb looks exactly like the old one, look where the air mixture screw is on the old compared to the new. I did the same for a snow blower and the new card had the air mixture hole plugged. I removed the plug and screwed in the air mixture screw into the new carb and it ran perfect.

Curtisun

Threads
Sounds like it could be in the governor. If it is pulsing low under load, then going back high the governor is opening the throttle it could be adjust wrong, your carb is not supplying enough fuel to maintain rpm, valves misadjusted, or you compression is low.

Freddie21

Threads
Clean the flywheel and mag\coil with emery paper and size gap to 0.010" (business card). Load from deck could be pulleys\spindle bearings. Check main drive belt routing and idlers.

redneck1952

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've had 2 engines that I've worked on that did that no matter if it was OEM carburetor or Aftermarket. The problem that I finally found on them was the valve adjustment was so far out of adjustment that I'm surprised it ran. Adjusted the valves and the lost power was back and it ran great.