Looking for help

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would remove the ignition coil. Polish all the mounting areas/pads and screws. Remove all that rust. Reinstall the coil. Might not be a fix but darn sure couldn't hurt.

Man she is pretty clean. Someone has been washing her down recently. For a mower that was stored outside and sit for 2 years, she is a clean one. Never had a used mower that clean under the hood.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it bark back when you turn the key? Does it sound like it has compression?

Most likely you have a carb issue. Your air to fuel ratio is off. It wants more fuel. Clean the Briggs carb and reinstall.

Cooling fins look okay.

I would look at the valves for sure.

HelpNeed3d

Threads
Does it bark back when you turn the key? Does it sound like it has compression?

Most likely you have a carb issue. Your air to fuel ratio is off. It wants more fuel. Clean the Briggs carb and reinstall.

Cooling fins look okay.

I would look at the valves for sure.
I’m not sure what you mean by barking back, sorry. It cranks when I turn the key and runs great. The issue only starts when I engage the blades or accelerate going forward.

I’ll try cleaning, reinstalling the old carb, but I’ll have to get a rebuild kit for it first. The old gaskets and Irving’s were toast.

I’ll see if I can find someone to help me with the valves, that’s something I’ve never tackled before.

thanks for all of the input!

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Does it sound like the piston is compressing some air and fuel in the cylinder? Like a starter sound, ruv ruv ruv..... Insert your best engine cranking noise here LOL.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
engage the choke slightly
If the problem goes away that says too lean a mix on the MAIN jet and this very well could be because the cheap knock off has a smaller main jet.
These carbs are not like car carbs when anything over idle pulls in the main jet.
On a mower it runs on the idle jet even at "high idle" of 3600 rpm, that is why it is called HIGH idle .
The main jet does not come into play till the governor allows the throttle plate to open up under load .
IT could also be an air leak via the head gasket .

HelpNeed3d

Threads
engage the choke slightly
If the problem goes away that says too lean a mix on the MAIN jet and this very well could be because the cheap knock off has a smaller main jet.
These carbs are not like car carbs when anything over idle pulls in the main jet.
On a mower it runs on the idle jet even at "high idle" of 3600 rpm, that is why it is called HIGH idle .
The main jet does not come into play till the governor allows the throttle plate to open up under load .
IT could also be an air leak via the head gasket .
Thanks I’ll check that also

HelpNeed3d

Threads
Does it sound like the piston is compressing some air and fuel in the cylinder? Like a starter sound, ruv ruv ruv..... Insert your best engine cranking noise here LOL.
Yes, it does.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
When it is running, does it even out if you partially close the choke?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
To easily do photos on your computer, put the photo on your screen, then go to the pop up menu search, and type in "snipping tool" or "snip", and take a snip of your pic, and use that to upload here.