Looking for advice re: purchasing a reliable lawn tractor

TobyU

Threads
  • / Looking for advice re: purchasing a reliable lawn tractor
Preach on Buddy, you can take your electric lawn mower and toss it in the drink,,,, Cheers, Ray
Exactly! One of these days they might improve them or at least the battery situation to where they wouldn't be such a sacrifice but for now, for most consumers, there are far too many sacrifices to switch over to a battery powered mower.
I'm just not willing to change to a new way of doing things or a substitute until the replacement item does everything the original did just as well if not better.
It also is needs to be cheaper or I don't see a point.

DinosaurMike

Threads
There will not be any choice as states outlaw the sales of new small gasoline ICEs over the next few years.
I bought one battery operated lawn and garden tool because I did not want another gasoline engine to deal with. It is not high use and I bought a small blower that uses the same battery. I will be kicking and screaming if I have to buy a battery lawn tractor at a multi-thousand dollar premium over an ICE if the batteries are not guaranteed to last at least to the break even point of an ICE.

Sean OM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Exactly! One of these days they might improve them or at least the battery situation to where they wouldn't be such a sacrifice but for now, for most consumers, there are far too many sacrifices to switch over to a battery powered mower.
I'm just not willing to change to a new way of doing things or a substitute until the replacement item does everything the original did just as well if not better.
It also is needs to be cheaper or I don't see a point.
The Husqvarna 115H automower is 700 dollars good for up to .4 acres, he has .3acres. It less then half what he paid for his old mower. The newer, better wireless autonomous mowers with RTK for centimeter accuracy and various patterns and attachments like mammotion (and several others) are in the 2k range now which is down from like 5-10k from 5 years ago. The 115h started at 3.5k like 5 years ago, but the technology is really dated.
Want a mower your wife can use? Automate it while on vacation? Leave a big block M in your yard to support your college team?, etc. They are getting good and far less expensive. And they are cheaper, easier and require less maintenance to operate. No oil, no gas. It is almost like hiring a lawn service.

TobyU

Threads
There will not be any choice as states outlaw the sales of new small gasoline ICEs over the next few years.
I bought one battery operated lawn and garden tool because I did not want another gasoline engine to deal with. It is not high use and I bought a small blower that uses the same battery. I will be kicking and screaming if I have to buy a battery lawn tractor at a multi-thousand dollar premium over an ICE if the batteries are not guaranteed to last at least to the break even point of an ICE.
I WILL NOT have any of them! I'll keep used and if they try to outlaw using that... THEY can come cut the damn stuff as I only do it so the city won't come put a sign in the yard!
They actually put a bright green 5x11 sticker on the front door or garage door(if facing the street) and then it you don't cut it in 3 days, they put the yard sign up!
They can just put it on my property taxes and extort some more and I will refuse to pay that part. Then I will die without paying.
They will get it eventually but I will not pay them.

I take issue with forced BS!

Sean OM

Forum Newbie
Threads

I don't know if they will outlaw them in the next few years. I am not sure they have to. It is going to happen whether there is a law or not. The convenience of electric for cities, and suburbia outweigh the advantages of gas. It is less work and makes less noise. The prices are starting to get close enough in that lower tier, that most people especially professionals are already going to buy electric for their next upgrade.

For larger country properties and professionals, it is a bit of a different story. The price drops and 'range' aren't there yet. But I looked at autonomous mowers for the first time in a couple of years and their range is going up and prices have fallen drastically.

Then you have the whole, 'lawn care is a waste' movement going on as well. And I WILL say, that I mowed in strips this year like every two weeks and mosquitos and crickets were non-existent because dragonflys were ALL over the place eating them in the longer grass. No algae issues in the pond either. zero spent on fertilizer, pesticides and herbicides. The lawn did not look like a golf course, but it never did anyway. :)

TobyU

Threads
I don't know if they will outlaw them in the next few years. I am not sure they have to. It is going to happen whether there is a law or not. The convenience of electric for cities, and suburbia outweigh the advantages of gas. It is less work and makes less noise. The prices are starting to get close enough in that lower tier, that most people especially professionals are already going to buy electric for their next upgrade.

For larger country properties and professionals, it is a bit of a different story. The price drops and 'range' aren't there yet. But I looked at autonomous mowers for the first time in a couple of years and their range is going up and prices have fallen drastically.

Then you have the whole, 'lawn care is a waste' movement going on as well. And I WILL say, that I mowed in strips this year like every two weeks and mosquitos and crickets were non-existent because dragonflys were ALL over the place eating them in the longer grass. No algae issues in the pond either. zero spent on fertilizer, pesticides and herbicides. The lawn did not look like a golf course, but it never did anyway. :)
You said convenience that outweigh the advantages of gas. This will probably be true for some of these professionals you mentioned. I'm assuming you meant white collar professional people in that and certainly not lawn care professionals who cut grass for a living because you covered that in your next paragraph.
People today are really funny about convenience and I think it's a terrible trait.
They're willing to pay more for it too and I believe in frugality or even cheapskated-ness.

However, the only people these are going to be more convenient for will be people with quite small yards and those who are willing to cut them quite frequently.
In some of the suburb areas this may be the case but in a lot of areas in the country especially a lot of these newer upper scale developments going in where almost everyone who lives there is definitely a white collar professional, The lawns are far too large to cut with a battery-powered mower.
Now I'm talking standard push mower size lawns. In reality, most of these big expensive homes are going to need a rider or in the more likely scenario, they're paying someone to cut their grass anyways!
But for many people whatever convenience there may be will be greatly overshadowed by the sacrifice they have to make to deal with the battery powered mower which is lower power, not nearly as long or indefinite cutting time, and having to cut the grass far more frequently.
Plenty of people are quite spoiled with gasoline mowers knowing you can go 8 10 or 12 days and sometimes longer between cuts and it doesn't make it that much more difficult to cut.
Try that with a battery powered mower and it's not going to work.
Anything over a minor trim is going to cut your battery capacity down to under half of what it's rated.
Now, blower is a string trimmers.. there's nothing more convenient than having a small rechargeable drill size battery to slap on one and pull the trigger and it works great!
However, you better not need one for over 15 or 20 minutes or it's going to be a hassle and an inconvenience.

Sean OM

Forum Newbie
Threads
You said convenience that outweigh the advantages of gas. This will probably be true for some of these professionals you mentioned. I'm assuming you meant white collar professional people in that and certainly not lawn care professionals who cut grass for a living because you covered that in your next paragraph.
People today are really funny about convenience and I think it's a terrible trait.
They're willing to pay more for it too and I believe in frugality or even cheapskated-ness.

However, the only people these are going to be more convenient for will be people with quite small yards and those who are willing to cut them quite frequently.
In some of the suburb areas this may be the case but in a lot of areas in the country especially a lot of these newer upper scale developments going in where almost everyone who lives there is definitely a white collar professional, The lawns are far too large to cut with a battery-powered mower.
Now I'm talking standard push mower size lawns. In reality, most of these big expensive homes are going to need a rider or in the more likely scenario, they're paying someone to cut their grass anyways!
But for many people whatever convenience there may be will be greatly overshadowed by the sacrifice they have to make to deal with the battery powered mower which is lower power, not nearly as long or indefinite cutting time, and having to cut the grass far more frequently.
Plenty of people are quite spoiled with gasoline mowers knowing you can go 8 10 or 12 days and sometimes longer between cuts and it doesn't make it that much more difficult to cut.
Try that with a battery powered mower and it's not going to work.
Anything over a minor trim is going to cut your battery capacity down to under half of what it's rated.
Now, blower is a string trimmers.. there's nothing more convenient than having a small rechargeable drill size battery to slap on one and pull the trigger and it works great!
However, you better not need one for over 15 or 20 minutes or it's going to be a hassle and an inconvenience.

The white collars are in the mindset time is money. And a lot of them don't like to get greasy dirty.
But it is funny watching people and seeing how they are skimping because everyone does it, they just skimp at different things. :)

I agree once you get to about half acre lots, things change. However, that is kind of where the autonomous mowers kick in as well. I just saw one that was rated for almost an acre and a couple of years ago that didn't exist. There isn't a rule that says you have to mow the lawn all in one shot either. I mean time isn't a factor if you aren't doing the work. It could mow part of the lawn, recharge itself and mow another section repeatedly until the lawn was done.

for a hand tool that is a different story because you are operating it so you are either waiting for the recharge, paying for the convenience of another battery or buy the gas tool and have to deal with all the issues with gas tools.

TobyU

Threads
The white collars are in the mindset time is money. And a lot of them don't like to get greasy dirty.
But it is funny watching people and seeing how they are skimping because everyone does it, they just skimp at different things. :)

I agree once you get to about half acre lots, things change. However, that is kind of where the autonomous mowers kick in as well. I just saw one that was rated for almost an acre and a couple of years ago that didn't exist. There isn't a rule that says you have to mow the lawn all in one shot either. I mean time isn't a factor if you aren't doing the work. It could mow part of the lawn, recharge itself and mow another section repeatedly until the lawn was done.

for a hand tool that is a different story because you are operating it so you are either waiting for the recharge, paying for the convenience of another battery or buy the gas tool and have to deal with all the issues with gas tools.
Yes, but when you say -all the issues of gas tools- it already sounds like you have quite a preference towards battery ones. Lol
Of the many gas handheld tools like this I have owned and used over the decades, I don't find there to be a lot of issues as at all. The only thing that would be mildly aggravating would be mixing up the two cycle gas which I still prefer because the four cycle ones are fairly wimpy and the lifespan doesn't seem to be very good but that's how everything works today. They don't want you to get 20 years out of a piece of equipment that only cost around a hundred bucks like so many of us have done with so many of these over the years.
I tend to be fairly unbiased about these things and have used most of all of them.
I do however certainly have preferences. Lol
As I mentioned, I don't think you can beat the convenience of a string trimmer or a blower that is battery powered for ease of use if you're just blowing off a smaller driveway or your walkway after a mow.
But anyone who needs to use one over 20 minutes or so, and sometimes only 15 to 18,.... The convenience is now loan I have to switch battery packs and I would have been much happier to just grab the gasoline one start it and complete the entire job.

These professionals with time is money....
A lot of them really do like to go into that mindset and phrase because they're trying to justify their own laziness or sometimes lack of knowledge of actually how to do a situation and other times maybe ability.
I guess even i, maybe....if I became an absolutely absurd high amount lottery winner who was set for multiple lives and hadn't worked for any of the money...might.... Stop being a cheapskate but I really doubt it!!

I would go out and buy several expensive vehicles but not a single one of them would be new because that's a waste and you get hosed and pay a premium. These purchases are usually just because of vanity and pride and they want their butt to be the first one that's ever set on the seat in their mind
But more often, they rationalize it due to the warranty and the expectation of having no problems so peace of mind, convenience and no aggravation expected.
Financially, except for some one-off outlier specific nitpick situation, you will always be better off to get a good deal on something used or like new but not exactly do and when you have that kind of money you can certainly afford to pay to get it fixed if something does happen but in the law of numbers, it won't as many times as it does so you'll have more money.

Had a big discussion on a car group one time with some guy who was very proud of his income which obviously wasn't in the realm of a vulgar amount lottery winner as I mentioned.... But had no intention of ever doing front brakes on his fairly new $62k expedition. I'm assuming it was at least two to three years old or why would he be doing brakes in the first place and even that's a little new of an estimate because maybe there should be a warranty until at least 3/36000.
Regardless, he went into a diet tribe about how much he makes per hour and how it would be financially stupid and even irresponsible to take off work to spend the time to do these brakes.
-LIKE he had any idea on how to actually do them or had the tools to do the job! RIGHT....
But see he turned it into a talking point, pedantic, nitpicking situation because NOWHERE HAVE I EVER NOR WOULD I recommend someone take time off work or from any other paid activities to put some front brakes on their vehicle!!
Any normal human being would know the recommendation is to do it in some part of that free time almost everyone has throughout their week or two week or pay period or whatever. Lol
When you bring this up, then, they go into how busy they are and making up more excuses. Lol
Hardly anyone, I would actually go all the way and say nobody works that much!
This same guy probably sits around and watches at least five if not 10 hours plus a week of TV and he probably hangs out in a club, sports bar etc wasting multiple hours a week drinking an extra couple of beers socializing or just chilling, instead of just eating those wings as a meal and leaving.
So while I understand many people talk about time being money, I feel it's mostly just a rationalization or justification because the time I'm talking about using would not otherwise be used for making money so it would not be a trade off and you would not be sacrificing money for the time.
Most people like this are simply lazy or feel it's beneath them or take them mentality they have achieved enough in life not to be bothered by menial tasks as that.
I really can't say I blame them as far as lawn Care etc.
Personally, I hate autonomous mowers and the idea of them but I really can't believe that in 2024, we're still cutting grass!
I lost the desire to cut grass when I was a kid after doing it about two times.
I still like operating a zero turn for about 7 minutes and after that it's just work so I'm done.
The ONLY reason I ever cut mine is so the local jurisdiction won't come out and place a notice at or on the property because then if I didn't cut it they would do it and add it to property taxes.
I hate most things that you have to do repeatedly.
Things I choose to do repeatedly because I enjoy them are completely different situation.

Sean OM

Forum Newbie
Threads
Personally, I hate autonomous mowers and the idea of them but I really can't believe that in 2024, we're still cutting grass!
I lost the desire to cut grass when I was a kid after doing it about two times.
I still like operating a zero turn for about 7 minutes and after that it's just work so I'm done.
The ONLY reason I ever cut mine is so the local jurisdiction won't come out and place a notice at or on the property

If you have an autonomous mower, then you don't need to personally mow the lawn. And your 7 minutes mowing will be trimming spots that it wasn't programmed to get. And changing the blades to sharpen them isn't trying to figure out how to crawl under the tractor or removing the deck and wrestling with it. The cost differential has disappeared what was 3500 dollars 5 years ago is 600 and about double the area covered. The GPS ones, were in the 10k+ range and really I saw more hobbyist ones, with modified lawn tractors and zero turns.

There is some movement to change mowing. It isn't supported by Michigan State University's supposedly good Turf Grass Management program. But the city was pushing a "no mow" May. Part of it is the chemicals adversely affect the 'good microbes' needed for soil health, and the beneficial insect populations. If you apply too many chemicals you destroy the beneficial microbes (aerobic bacteria, nematodes, and fungus) which balance out other issues. Like aerobic bacteria feed on the anaerobic bacteria (generally speaking aerobic bacteria are good, and anaerobic are bad and cause issues), the 'good' nematodes feed on grubs and larva many of which feed on grass roots, then moles/voles come feed on those grubs. And the mycorrhizal fungus attaches to a plants root and increases the root surface area by 20x and trades nutrients and water for carbon with the plant, and it is like a sponge and stores water which reduces water applications.

As far as the guy that was bragging about money? A lot of them think that working on things like lawnmowers are 'beneath' them as well. Woman don't want to know, and prefer to hire it out and even supposedly 'progressive women' will say it is man's work. Which goes hand in hand, with wanting to look cool or wanting to appear to be successful. It doesn't mean those people can afford it, they just want to give the illusion they can. Which gets back to the whole having a good looking lawn. Even autonomous mowers fit this group because now it is cool but useful toy, but because of the price drops, they aren't necessarily more expensive.

TobyU

Threads
If you have an autonomous mower, then you don't need to personally mow the lawn. And your 7 minutes mowing will be trimming spots that it wasn't programmed to get. And changing the blades to sharpen them isn't trying to figure out how to crawl under the tractor or removing the deck and wrestling with it. The cost differential has disappeared what was 3500 dollars 5 years ago is 600 and about double the area covered. The GPS ones, were in the 10k+ range and really I saw more hobbyist ones, with modified lawn tractors and zero turns.

There is some movement to change mowing. It isn't supported by Michigan State University's supposedly good Turf Grass Management program. But the city was pushing a "no mow" May. Part of it is the chemicals adversely affect the 'good microbes' needed for soil health, and the beneficial insect populations. If you apply too many chemicals you destroy the beneficial microbes (aerobic bacteria, nematodes, and fungus) which balance out other issues. Like aerobic bacteria feed on the anaerobic bacteria (generally speaking aerobic bacteria are good, and anaerobic are bad and cause issues), the 'good' nematodes feed on grubs and larva many of which feed on grass roots, then moles/voles come feed on those grubs. And the mycorrhizal fungus attaches to a plants root and increases the root surface area by 20x and trades nutrients and water for carbon with the plant, and it is like a sponge and stores water which reduces water applications.

As far as the guy that was bragging about money? A lot of them think that working on things like lawnmowers are 'beneath' them as well. Woman don't want to know, and prefer to hire it out and even supposedly 'progressive women' will say it is man's work. Which goes hand in hand, with wanting to look cool or wanting to appear to be successful. It doesn't mean those people can afford it, they just want to give the illusion they can. Which gets back to the whole having a good looking lawn. Even autonomous mowers fit this group because now it is cool but useful toy, but because of the price drops, they aren't necessarily more expensive.
I think it's pathetic that we have to keep cutting it.
We should have artificial maybe even stuff that goes you and down to simulate growth and you push a button to retract (mow) it. Lol
Maybe a spray that once you get it joining his you want.... It stays that way.
I don't care ONE BIT what my lawn/grass/yard looks like.
Never have... Never will.