Liquid dynomite.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
missed the point.
Nothing burns by exploding
Everything burns from the ignition source to the outer edge
The speed of flame propogation varies but nothing spontaneously combusts completely if air is the oxadizing agent .
The smaller the molecule the faster the reaction , remember that from high school chemistry ?
So Either will burn a lot faster than petrol
A lot of diesel model aircraft engines run on either .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I rarely use starting fluid, usually use brake parts cleaner...
I also wonder about claims of SF "blowing up" engines when Project Farm ran a Quantum on it for like an hour... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

4getgto

Threads
I rarely use starting fluid, usually use brake parts cleaner...
I also wonder about claims of SF "blowing up" engines when Project Farm ran a Quantum on it for like an hour... :unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:
I seen that one too. Couldn't do it..

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have seen a 60's 327 chevy blow the air cleaner off and a huge fireball blow out the carb (not my work) but then the engine was fine and they got it started. I have heard stories abiut car engines, and lawn mower engines literally blowing up but i have never seen one or a video of one. May be a different story on diesels. Lots of tractors have ether boosters to help get them startedScreenshot_20220701-080238_Chrome.jpg

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Personally if a gasoline engine will not start on it intended fuel something is wrong. I don't even have a can of starter any where in my shop.

Now diesels are another story when it is cold. Even then they can get hooked on it.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use it all the time. Customer brings in a push mower and says it won't start.
I remove the spark plug and use a gap spark tester and pull rope and check for spark. If it has spark i put in a new plug and remove air cleaner and give it a quick shot of starting fluid and pull the rope. If it fires off you know it is a fuel/carb issue. If it doesn't fire off time to check compression.

OldNoob

Threads
When i was younger , one could get 20% nitro fuel (liquid dynamite ;) ) for the little RC gas engines and there were some places that would sell 35% nitro fuel. Hard to find real nitroglycerin fuel these days.😋

Last edited:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I did a lot of control line flying many years ago. We used nitromethane fuel. Never heard of nitroglycerin fuel.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
Anyone who works on ICE engines should understand the question explode VS burn. When your car engine goes knock knock knock with cheap gas, it is exploding in the cylinder. It can knock holes in a piston and it quickly destroys piston rings. When an ICE engine runs correctly the fuel is burning. The flame starts at the spark plug and the flame front moves thru the cylinder. That is why the timing is a bit in advance of TDC. It takes that time for the flame to burn. A gasoline engine is not engineered to withstand explosions like a diesel engine is. Fuel in a diesel engine is compressed until it is hot enough to self ignite in an explosion. A diesel always runs at wide open throttle, the amount of fuel injected varies the power.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Again.
It is not exploding
It is burning too early so the fuel air is expanding against the action of the piston rising
There is no explosion