Lights/Electrical issue

arch252

Threads
I'm fixing up a JD 325. Among numerous other issues, it had no headlight switch. I purchased a switch and plugged it in. I have installed a new battery. Everything else is working properly, the PTO switch, fuel solenoid, etc. I have noticed the alternator light stays on most of the time. I cannot get the headlights to work. The bulbs and sockets both tested good. I put a voltmeter on the plug where you can disconnect to remove the hood and when I pull the headlight switch the meter reads about 12.70 vdc, so the switch appears to be operating properly. If I connect one or both headlight sockets to that plug I get nothing. The battery is reading about 13.40 vdc. I can connect the light socket directly to the battery and they work.

There are two wires, one yellow and one black. I'm assuming the yellow is hot and the black is ground so the light sockets themselves do not have to be grounded to the frame.

To say I struggle with electrical issues is an understatement. What am I missing?

arch252

Threads
I should add that I've tried bypassing the connector to ensure that was not bad, I've tried wiring the lights directly before the connector, nothing.

The lights are not coming on when connected to 12.70 vdc but will at 13.40 vdc directly at the battery. Does this make any sense?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes.
Mower lights are generally connected to the unregulated output from the alternator so run AC not DC
How you wire them in will depend upon what alternator you are using.
Usually they are connected directly to the alternator and the switch makes the ground contact.

arch252

Threads
Aaahh, that makes sense, so the black would go to ground and the yellow from the charging coil, would not think then that it should be showing a DC current. Time to go through the wiring harness l guess. It's never simple. Thanks Bert, you come through more than once for me.

arch252

Threads
Looking at a diagram it looks like black is to ground and the yellow is actually a yellow/black coming from the rectifier to the switch. That shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yeah, should have double checked.
Runs the Kawakasi not the Briggs
So no AC feed for the lights.
Light switch taps into the power reed to the relays through the A terminal on the the ignition switch
On a plain 325, don't have diagrams for GX 325 or GT 325

arch252

Threads
98 model with the single cylinder Kawasaki

JD318420

Threads
Now we can get to the right document (schematic) straight 325

bertsmobile1 since you have the diagram PM the OP about it. I had the GX325 schematic.