Left wheel is not as responsive as the right one

Pete6114

Threads
The owner and i discussed leaving the pump alone for the time being since it's still usable. We're hoping a fluid/filter change will make the pump last till the end of the cutting season.
There was ATF fluid in the hydraulic system when i started using his mower, which struck me as odd, but i didn't know at that time what the manufacturer requirements are. When the Tank was leaking and making a mess everywhere it was parked, a new tank was ordered and installed. When the time came to fill it, he came along with a pail of semi-synthetic oil. I questioned him about mixing fluids since the system was still full of ATF. The dealer apparently recommended both fluids at different times.
Manual calls for Mobil1 15w50 or Castrol Edge 5w50, both full synthetic. The manual don't specify motor oil, hydraulic fluid or ATF. Calling Ferris cleared it up and it is Motor oil.
We're changing fluids/ filter today and I'm anxious to see it it makes any diff at this point.

GetTechnicalWithJd

Threads
How did the oil and filter change go?

I know there were some issues with Hydraulic hoses on the IS5100Z before serial numbers 2016803538. There is an upgrade kit available.

Perhaps you have a kinked hydraulic hose on the left side? Or the hydraulic release may be partially engaged. It is a hex shown in the attached pic.

hydrualic release.png

Always check the simple stuff first before tearing in the pumps and motors.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If the hydro pump or motors are wearing out a heavier oil will to some extent counter the wear, FOR A WHILE.
JD specifies 5W-40 which is fine if you snow plough but a bit thin if you only mow in 100+ temperatures.
Some times I have squeezed a season or 3 extra out of a failing box by changing to a heavier base oil 10w40 or even 20w50.

If the thicker oil cures the problems it also cements in the problem, errosion in the valve plate on either or both the motor & pump

Pete6114

Threads
How did the oil and filter change go?

I know there were some issues with Hydraulic hoses on the IS5100Z before serial numbers 2016803538. There is an upgrade kit available.

Perhaps you have a kinked hydraulic hose on the left side? Or the hydraulic release may be partially engaged. It is a hex shown in the attached pic.

View attachment 44966

Always check the simple stuff first before tearing in the pumps and motors.
First off thanks a ton for the Hydraulic hose info. Our Ser. is 201262415. Haven't noticed any kinking but I'll be looking for it now.
Seems to me that after the Oil/Filter change somewhat of a difference was noticed, but it's still not as it should be. Just want to mention that as before the fluid change, after cutting for a couple of hours, the problem with the left side gets worse.

If the hydro pump or motors are wearing out a heavier oil will to some extent counter the wear, FOR A WHILE.
JD specifies 5W-40 which is fine if you snow plough but a bit thin if you only mow in 100+ temperatures.
Some times I have squeezed a season or 3 extra out of a failing box by changing to a heavier base oil 10w40 or even 20w50.

If the thicker oil cures the problems it also cements in the problem, errosion in the valve plate on either or both the motor & pump
Thanks for your reply. We now use Mobil 1 15W50. Not sure what weight the other fluids he had used are. I tries my best to drain the system completely, but in the end i know there's some old fluid still in there. I had to use a suction pump to empty the tank, since it was just dripping after removing the filter.

Mr. Mower

Threads
If you ever do decide to tear into it (rebuild, etc.) hopefully the following link site will be able help you out by downloading a Service Manual ?

Good Luck and please post (even post pictures?) on your progress on how you went about doing it if you do decide to rebuild it.

https://www.hydro-gear.com/service-and-repair-manuals/