Leaving equipment outside

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some good points there!

I talked with the owner. I can do a small housing with a roof wit wood lying around in the scrap yard to protect my mowers. Right now, I have both mowers in the garage along with trimmers and blowers. Only the exmark is outside. I have no room in the garage. Already 2 cars and all my stuff.

I could also rent out more space like an old cube van in the scrap yard and leave my equipment in there. That is an extra 100$/months.

Leave the cars outside they will be fine and there insured.

Threads
Leave the cars outside they will be fine and there insured.

That was my thinking behind why I do it. I may have to warm the car up every morning in the winter, but it's worth it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Drive past your local civic authority's plant yard.
You will most likely see a row of equipment that sits out in the weather, on a hard stand.
Small equipment needs to go under cover, big does not , heck most are designed to be used in the rain and there are lot on this list that do mow, rain hail or sunshine.
I have very limited undercover space in the workshop so I use motorcycle covers to protect ( and hide ) customers mowers that can not get inside.
I sell motorcycle covers to customers who have no where to store their mowers under cover.
Why motorcycle covers, well they are waterproof and all have air vents to allow hot moist air to escape and not initate rust.

So don't feel like a criminal if the truck can not get in the garage.
But do try & park it so water will drain off the floor and not pool behind the cab.
If you tarp it, leave a space for moist damp air to escape and make sure you clean off all the mower decks before they get put on the truck

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
That was my thinking behind why I do it. I may have to warm the car up every morning in the winter, but it's worth it.

Seems like the sense-able thing to do. It's not going to hurt the cars or truck to be parked in the driveway and I'm sure not going to pay to store my equipment if I have a garage.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems like the sense-able thing to do. It's not going to hurt the cars or truck to be parked in the driveway and I'm sure not going to pay to store my equipment if I have a garage.

I just need a bigger garage lol

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Drive past your local civic authority's plant yard.
You will most likely see a row of equipment that sits out in the weather, on a hard stand.
Small equipment needs to go under cover, big does not , heck most are designed to be used in the rain and there are lot on this list that do mow, rain hail or sunshine.
I have very limited undercover space in the workshop so I use motorcycle covers to protect ( and hide ) customers mowers that can not get inside.
I sell motorcycle covers to customers who have no where to store their mowers under cover.
Why motorcycle covers, well they are waterproof and all have air vents to allow hot moist air to escape and not initate rust.

So don't feel like a criminal if the truck can not get in the garage.
But do try & park it so water will drain off the floor and not pool behind the cab.
If you tarp it, leave a space for moist damp air to escape and make sure you clean off all the mower decks before they get put on the truck

Thanks for that good idea! A motorcycle cover would be a good idea.

The trailer doesn't fit in the garage, it is too long.

Threads
I've got an extra big three car garage and its still not big enough for everything. :laughing:

I remember when I could fit 2 cars in the garage and put my mower and snowblower along the one wall. Now there is barely room for 1 car with all my equipment.

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I remember when I could fit 2 cars in the garage and put my mower and snowblower along the one wall. Now there is barely room for 1 car with all my equipment.

It's surprising how fast you can fill up a garage with junk. I've had the car and truck plus the trailer in the garage at one time but now just the car and trailer. I turned the third stall into my work area.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Except UV will deteriorate the paint, rubber & interior.
If left in the same place day in day out UV will also cause a hard patch on the side walls of the tyres which is why they make wheel covers for caravans.
The trailer & gear would go out to work every day ( one would hope ) but at least one car will not as your bum will be in the truck.
The gear on the truck are depreciation . Tax write off items, chances are the cars are not and the work gear most likely gets turned over a bit faster than the cars and is a lot cheaper to replace.

Pallet racking can be installed in the garage so that the nose of the cars is under the lowest shelf and you can fit a lot of gear on pallet width shelves thus you are getting double use of the floor area.
Old pallet racking is very cheap and is self supporting so if you have a work bench at one end it can be installed a foot or so back from the bench you just have to be able to get in & out of the cars without banging your head.
I have done a lot of similar "bridge" style installations in restaurants store rooms & work rooms and in one case we moved the wine storage from the wall to overhead, stored all of the dry good over the top of the managers desk and basically turned a disaster of a storeage space into a working space & I get free lunches whenever I go there they are so happy with the results and it cost peanuts when comparred to expensive wall shelving.