Learn learn learn

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
So I decided to take a piston out of a NEW Weed Eater brand weed eater, and put it in a Weed Eater brand blower. Checked all the part numbers to make sure they matched. Which they did.
The problem was, the ring on the blower was shot. BUT the cylinder was still good. The new engine I had, has a longer crank, that's not slotted. (Because it's for a weed eater)

Anyways, long story short, instead of compressing the ring so I could slide it into the cylinder, then installing the rod onto the crankshaft, I did it assbackwards. Installed the rod/piston onto the crank, then tried to compress the ring/piston into the cylinder. Making it tough to see all sides of the ring. None the less, i snapped the ring.

What I learned, Install the piston into the cylinder, then connect the rod onto the crankshaft. I should've taken an extra second to do this right.

Instead of listing this blower for sale now, I'm waiting on a couple of rings.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A set of hand held ring compressors is about $ 10
All of the aftermarket parts suppliers do one.
A simple loop with 2 tangs that you clamp together with a pair of lock jaw pliers.
Next best, but short by a long way is a hose clamp or a hose plamp wrapped around a length of pop can
You can even use a soda bottle.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
A set of hand held ring compressors is about $ 10
All of the aftermarket parts suppliers do one.
A simple loop with 2 tangs that you clamp together with a pair of lock jaw pliers.
Next best, but short by a long way is a hose clamp or a hose plamp wrapped around a length of pop can
You can even use a soda bottle.

Soda can.... That's a good idea.

BTW, something you told me the other day, in a different thread about cleaning out where the piston ring fits, Nylon string (I just discovered) works very good.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
a hose clamp and a paper towel work good too,
use the towel for padding.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
a hose clamp and a paper towel work good too,
use the towel for padding.

I was thinking about cutting out an aluminum can just big enough to fit around the piston. With about 1/8th inch inside the cylinder. A little 2 cycle oil and it should slide right on in. May take two wraps around the piston.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Question: I was just watching a video (Donnyboy) on which direction to install a piston in a 2 cycle. I get the idea that the ring gap should not be line up with the exhaust or intake ports, because it could catch. Good video, in fact. Except his piston had an arrow on top of it. This weed eater piston (neither of them) have an arrow.

Because I can see through both ports and see that the ring pin isn't coming up there. But what about the 4 cut outs on both sides of the cylinder. And how can I be sure the ring gap isn't going to hit either one of those? The 4 cut outs, I can see by knowing where the ring pin is, and sliding it into the cylinder, isn't going to actually be in line with either of them. But extremely close to one of the.

A little feedback would be awesome.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Piston will only fit one direction. the ring pins are normally on the intake/carb side of the cylinder.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Question: The two rings I ordered were apparently the wrong ones.
I have FB 25 Weed eater brand Blower. And W25CB Weed Eater brand weed eater.

I ordered part number 545154001. These are a little too big.

Does anyone have the right part number for these two? Both should be the same.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
That is the number I came up with for both models on my distributor website parts lookup system, and the official dealer Husqvarna parts lookup system.