Leaking Gas Tank on Hedge Trimmer

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Like Star I am yet to find any JB weld product that is fit for anything other than a cheap bodge job to turn a profit or an emergency repair to get you home
However the warning was put out that once any sort of glue is used a proper weld is almost impossible .
It is Gasser tank so it is his decision .
I have done 5 JD petrol tanks with split seams , a couple of Murray tanks with wear holes from badly fitting bonnets , 15 JD hoods using the special JD filler rods, most were not pretty but they all held and about a dozen trimmer tanks that all worked except for two that were so brittle from sun exposure the tanks litterally fell apart but for those I managed to find a tank to almost fit then used some chain saw anti vibration rubber mounts as packing pieces.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
IF Permatex would just come out with a JD green version they wouldn't need to make anything else. The cream matches the best so far as the black is really noticeable.

The main thing with the JD hoods is the UV damage which can't be repaired. It is just like the plastic rotted.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
IF Permatex would just come out with a JD green version they wouldn't need to make anything else. The cream matches the best so far as the black is really noticeable.
I get my sticks from a mob in New Zealand
IT is a perfect match colour wise & the exact same chemistry polly carbonate that JD use ( or so they say )
However welding with plastic filler rods is a skill I am a long way from mastering and they don't make sheets for reinforcing the repair on the underside so you have to put great globs of it on there.
I saw some clips that used coarse stainless steel mesh as a reinforcement over the cracks but on mine it just never took .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I do plastic welding here to a point and agree it takes time to master it as you got to get full penetration without over heating it. You just can't do a surface repair. And over heating the plastic makes it extremely brittle.

As for the JD hoods I jsut got in the F525 mower where the customer has yet again busted the hood. The previous Permatex bonded areas are still in tack and that was done over five years ago. There are new breaks and nothing can be done for it as large pieces are missing this time.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you guys scuff up the areas and try to reinforce the split prior to using any epoxy? Total degrease a couple times with window cleaner? Just globbing it on and expecting a heavy mower hood to be brand new is reaching.

Might of gotten a bad tube or was so old sitting "outside" in the shop (hot and cold temps). I know thread locker has an expiration date on the bottle. Need to check some epoxy out for this. These hard smooth plastics are tough to mend proper.

Like painting a car. all in the prep work.