Leaking Gas Tank on Hedge Trimmer

La Gasser

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Maruyama 2 cycle gas Hedge Trimmer - model HT2200 purchased approx 20 years ago new. Fuel tank started leaking and a replacement tank is no longer available. Does anyone know what I can use to seal the tank to prevent the leak?
Thanks

La Gasser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Correction on model # - it's a HT210 not a HT2200. Purchased in 1995! Still runs great except for leaking fuel tank. Sorry for the error.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The tank is HDPE
Cloudy milk bottles are HDPE
SO you can plastic weld the cracks
Then cut strips off a milk bottle and weld them to the fuel tank with a hot air gun

Most 4 gallon 5 gallon drums are HDPE as well so grab one from the trash at the back of the local resturant / car wash etc and practice on that.
Once you have put any goop on the tanks it can not be welded

Watch some of the You tube videos
If the clot says things like you can use Zip ties for everything the disregard it and find some one else
Only a few critical things
1) tank must be clean with a capital C
2) use only stainless steel wire brushes
3) heat only till it looks glassy or it will become soft and collapse
4) put it on, roll the air bubbles out then don't touch it till it gets stone cold and that can be well over 1 hour

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
is it the tank or the rubber plug at the end. Many use a 3 hole plug that has hoses in it.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is it about Maruyama fuel tanks? They leak or at least mine did on my kick azz trimmer twice. New tank was $85.00 each. Finally said forget it and plastic welded it. Soldering iron with a flat tip and sealed her up. Running fine for a couple seasons now. Watch your heat as you go. Really is simple.

Normally you want the same plastic type if you are needing a filler rod. I used black nylon zip ties with good luck. Looks funny but doesn't leak.

Mine leaked twice at the main seam on 2 new tanks. Went all the way around it with a soldering iron. Think the iron temp was around 525F???

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
JB Weld also makes a plastic bonder formula.

Here's a review from their site.

"Saved a lot of money using this to repair pin holes and cracks on 3 fuel tanks on a riding mower, a chain saw and a string trimmer. All were HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene). Also worked on various rigid PVC and ABS items including the cracked case of a cordless tool battery pack. All repairs have lasted 3 months or more. I suggest you mark one side of the tube cap with an ink marker so you put the cap back in the correct position... I briefly put the cap on wrong and it got welded to the syringe. It has taken more than 15 minutes to set, but that's OK. Really excellent results!!!"

1657710497010.png

La Gasser

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks to all for the replys. I'll get some JB Weld Plastic Bonder and try it. Such a great machine except for the fuel tank.

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
with inflation by the time you get two more seasons on it the price of a new one will be double. Keep that in mind.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
with inflation by the time you get two more seasons on it the price of a new one will be double. Keep that in mind.
Let hope, not naming names but we get a new president in a few years. This one drove this country into the ground on his first day in office. Every day since just gets worse. Nothing he has done actually benefitted the American public - We the people.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
JB Weld also makes a plastic bonder formula.

Here's a review from their site.

"Saved a lot of money using this to repair pin holes and cracks on 3 fuel tanks on a riding mower, a chain saw and a string trimmer. All were HDPE (High Density Poly Ethylene). Also worked on various rigid PVC and ABS items including the cracked case of a cordless tool battery pack. All repairs have lasted 3 months or more. I suggest you mark one side of the tube cap with an ink marker so you put the cap back in the correct position... I briefly put the cap on wrong and it got welded to the syringe. It has taken more than 15 minutes to set, but that's OK. Really excellent results!!!"

View attachment 61486
My result using this JB Weld is like most of their products was horrible here. I attempt to bond an ABS mower hood together. It claimed a 5 minute bonding time and even letting sit over night didn't work. I had taped it together after applying the JB Weld and the next morning started removing the tape and the hood simply fell apart. Then I went back to the Permatex Plastic Weld and bare got it together before things were already bonding. I will never buy the JB Weld product again.

As for the HDPE plastic tanks only plastic welding will work unless you can some that $300+ / oz Epoxy. But most of the 2 cycle tanks usually are leaking around the fuel lines and the grommets.

Last edited: