Lazer won't crank

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Because people like to mow way too fast, on bumpy ground and because most mowers have no suspension people bounce up & down in the seat which can activate the seat switch and turn the engine off.
To prevent this happening there is a delay module that filters the stop signal from the seat switch so it has to be continious for a couple of seconds before the module sends a stop signal to the engine.

mudpie

Threads
I checked the switches for the seat, brake, and both control arms. All are good. I didn't check the tilt switch, but I'm thinking a basic mercury switch shouldn't be an issue. For some reason, my relays that were clicking yesterday are not today. So now I'm getting power to the starter relay, but no power from the starter relay to the kill relay like I was yesterday. There's no way a relay could get fried like an electronic module would, is there? It's just a simple on / off switch.

Thanks for the delay module info. I suppose the last thing to do is check that, at which point I'll be out of ideas.

Last edited:

mudpie

Threads
One thing I really hate is doing a search, finding a thread started by somebody who has the same problem I've got, and the thread just dies. Annoying. So I like to finish off a thread, for anybody searching in the future.

As it turns out, my PTO switch is bad. Power comes in to the ignition switch, and when the key is turned to the START position power goes out on one wire to the starter relay, and out on another wire to the PTO switch. After the PTO switch, power goes on to supply 12v to all the safety switches. This only happens when the PTO is off (knob pressed in), which is why you can't start your mower with the PTO engaged. Power was going to the PTO, but not coming out the other side. I put a jumper wire across those two terminals and it cranked right up.

Good luck future people