Lawnmower won't start still.

Tomahawk1981

Threads
I've never tried to fix a lawnmower engine before. So I'm definitely a newbie

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
So pull the air filter off, and pour gas into the hole behind it?
yes. that goes straight into the combustion chamber... about a tablespoon or slightly less ought to do it..

dougand3

Threads
126T02-0125-B1
Yes. Yes on fuel in carb throat....but you've already done this with fuel in plug hole. It popped, so it's a fuel/air problem. This an auto choke-air vane/Thermostat. See that the choke plate in the carb (nearest the filter housing) is closed when cold. And it could be a dirty carb and fuel not getting to comb chamber.

Tomahawk1981

Threads
Ok, just tried that, and again only a few pops for 3 pulls. I had to tilt the mower on its side tti get the gas into the air intake, and it was dripping out of the other side below the exhaust.

Tomahawk1981

Threads
The plate was closed because i had to open it a bit to get the gas in there with a little funnel. Is the carburetor the little round part right behind the air filter?

dougand3

Threads
Lots of youtube videos. Or buy a carb off ebay or amazon - Aftermarket are $9. Search Briggs 799866.

Tomahawk1981

Threads
Alright, thanks for the help. I'll look it up on YouTube.

Richard Milhous

Threads
You may have no choice, but it's hard on an engine to live outdoors. Drain all gas out of it and clean the carbureter. I found a picture that makes this look like a bowl carbureter; my condolences. Keep the tank full as much as possible. It's "probably" safe to run automotive carb cleaner through it, which would help. Above all, cover it with some hard shell to keep the rain off.

If you're pouring gas behind the air filter for a test, also make sure the throttle is fully open. Less gas is more; if you get too much gas in the intake it will soak the plug and could prevent firing.