Lawnflite ride on mower belt drive

hongwu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. Apologies. I thought I could get a good picture of the belt condition by removing the cover plate. The model nmbr is 13AC458C611 & the mower a model type 603 & unlike the USA version ready access appears more difficult. Weather here currently not too good, but once clears up can try take off the blade & cover & try then to remove the cutting deck. Am I correct you do not also require the removal of the top decking ? If it is of any help, when the engine is running, the blade appears to be revolving even with the blade lowering lever in top position.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Remove the hing pin on the rear chute at the deck
It should be held in with a split pin and I change then to R clips to make life easy
Then do the same with the 2 lift arms each side
From memory the split pins are on the inside where they are impossible to get a pair of pliers on
They get swapped for R clips for the same reason
Do one side , push the deck away from you while pulling th lift arms towards you
Do the other side the same way
You now slide the deck forward, remove the belt & disconnect the engagement mechanism.
Some are cables & some are rods .
Now you can raise the deck lift lever to the highest position and slide the deck out to the right side ( sitting on the mower )
Take photos every step of the way so you can get it back together
I slide some long 2 x 4's under the deck before I start so the deck can slide out easily .

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Using the model number you supplied, I see that your unit uses a variable pulley drive system. One thing that the service techs have learned about these systems is you need to replace both drive belts at the the same time. We’ve learned that these systems are not the easiest ones to work on. After removing the deck, following Bert’s instructions, you’ll have better access to the system. Removing and reinstalling both belts takes an experienced tech at least an hour, so path accordingly and take your patience pill. I’ve been trying to locate an owners manual, which should have a routing diagram, but have been unable to do so. We’re hear to answer any more questions you may have.

hongwu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Using the model number you supplied, I see that your unit uses a variable pulley drive system. One thing that the service techs have learned about these systems is you need to replace both drive belts at the the same time. We’ve learned that these systems are not the easiest ones to work on. After removing the deck, following Bert’s instructions, you’ll have better access to the system. Removing and reinstalling both belts takes an experienced tech at least an hour, so path accordingly and take your patience pill. I’ve been trying to locate an owners manual, which should have a routing diagram, but have been unable to do so. We’re hear to answer any more questions you may have.
Many thanks. Yes not an easy machine to work with, which perhaps explains the problems we have been facing since new belts were fitted by a local mower service company. The belts appeared to look okay, so anticipate either they were not adjusted properly ,or another as yet unidentified problem. As is, starting is not too easy & the battery requires constant recharging.

hongwu

Forum Newbie
Threads
Many thanks. Yes not an easy machine to work with, which perhaps explains the problems we have been facing since new belts were fitted by a local mower service company. The belts appeared to look okay, so anticipate either they were not adjusted properly ,or another as yet unidentified problem. As is, starting is not too easy & the battery requires constant recharging.
there appear to be 3 belts on this machine

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes, one for deck drive and two for unit drive.

CraigH

Threads
Where abouts in the UK are you?

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I’m in the USA and Bert is in Australia

CraigH

Threads
I meant the op, lol.
I'm in the UK and if he's close enough, I'd happily go and help take the deck off a d see if I could help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And the other thing I forgot to mention is these systems use a special, unique to MTD belt shape.
I usually fit Stens OEM spec belts which are 1/2 the price of MTD genuine belts and supposed to be the same shape .
Lots of people ( and unfortunately mower shops ) fit standard B section belts which just do not work well & prolonged use wrecks the variable pulley which is expensive .
The system basically works like a tug -o-war between the top ( rear ) and bottom ( front belt ).
Which ever one is the tighter forces the sliding middle plate on the variable pulleyaway thus reducing the diameter that belt travels around ( pulley spins faster ) and increases the diameter the other belt recks around ( belt moves faster ) .
This is in effect the came thing as stepped pullies used on drills & lathes and it helps to visualise what is happening .
The rear pulley has a fixed spring so fixed tension and the front pulley you vary the tension with the pedal .
Now to further complicate this set up , on some models the position of the variable pully is fixed ( easy ) and on others the variable pulley moves ( gets really complicated )
I hope this explains what we need to see all of it at once