Lawn Mower 6.5 HP Duraforce Engine - best way to clean the carb and parts?

netrate

Threads
  • / Lawn Mower 6.5 HP Duraforce Engine - best way to clean the carb and parts?
I am in the midst of "attempting" a repair on the carb and parts for this mower that will not start. There is a thick layer of grease and grass over everything so I am trying to degrease and clean the plastic parts so I can actually see what I am looking at. Does anyone have a solution or grease remover method so I can soak the parts to remove the majority of grease?
Here is what I have tried :
1) Warm soapy water
2) Tooth brush
3) Air compressor

I am probably going to overhaul the carb at some point, but I need to get the rest cleaned first. Any suggestions?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
any brand of brake parts/carburetor cleaner will dissolve the grease and grime
1634492846545.png

netrate

Threads
Is there a length of time that I can leave it in there? Will it hurt plastics?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
It may take the print off of some stickers, it's under enough pressure you probably won't need to soak it, just blast it off.

netrate

Threads
Ok I will try that. Do you know if there is a difference with non-chlorinated brake cleaner and regular? I was looking it up and of course, there are so many choices for it.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I usually clean the carburetor exteriors with 2 cycle fuel mix and air powered engine cleaning wand outdoors. This way I know that I am not exposing the carburetor to anything harmful to it. For internal cleaning of the carburetor at one time I use the carburetor dip cleaners but all plastics and rubber components had to removed. I haven't use this method since 2012 when I switch to soap and water while an ultrasonic cleaner. I actually gave away my last bucket of dip cleaner in 2015 and haven't I looked back.

It is actually safer for the person that doing the cleaning as you not exposed to something hazardous.

netrate

Threads
Ok, I don't have the ultrasonic cleaner - and although it is tempting to get one - for this project I don't want to end up spending money on one and never use it again.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ok, I don't have the ultrasonic cleaner - and although it is tempting to get one - for this project I don't want to end up spending money on one and never use it again.
They can be use to clean other things too. Like your wife's jewelery or eye glassess, and also nuts and bolts too. Dont have a wife here but have the rest of the list. I also clean my peculator coffee basket.

netrate

Threads
I have too much clutter as it is lol

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I went 2 years without one
Then I got one and worked it to death so bought a bigger one with a heater
I really do not know how I managed without one
Right now I have a transponder for a 10 gallon unit that I will be making from an old laundry tub.
Four years ago I made a temporary soda blaster to see it they would actually work.
Just finished the 25 Kg of animal feed grade soda & looking forward to trying blasting grade .
Another tool you don't know how much you need it till you get one then wonder how you managed without it .

Last edited: