Lawn Boy Model 7035 Carb Question

Landngroove

Threads
The part i ordered from a well known parts supplier was a 611070. I also went to a local Lawn Boy dealer, ordered a 611070, and it is the same as the one I got on-line, and in the picture, of my previous posting. I am beside myself. There is a picture of 611070 on ebay. it is a completed item, but you can still access it. Ebay auction # 400221136147. This is not like the one that broke on my machine.

Landngroove

Threads
*****UPDATE***** Did some more investigating on this, and it turns out the supplier of these parts, is also unsure of which part, 611070, or 610832, is the correct one. They don't know which is which. Do you believe this ? Is this what we have come to ? They send out a part, hoping it is the correct one, but are unsure if it is right, or could be another part number. In any case, it looks as though I will be getting the correct part. Thanks for all replys.

BarryB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi LNG,

I am in the same boat. I have a part labeled 611070 but it is not the right part. I'll see what I can do about sending it back. If you wouldn't mind - please provide the source for the correct part. Thx!

By the way, this is my first post. I am the proud owner of a 1983 8673. It runs great, and looks good except for a missing chunk out of the top cover. Its been mowing the same lawn for 28 years now. I love it.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi LNG,

I am in the same boat. I have a part labeled 611070 but it is not the right part. I'll see what I can do about sending it back. If you wouldn't mind - please provide the source for the correct part. Thx!

By the way, this is my first post. I am the proud owner of a 1983 8673. It runs great, and looks good except for a missing chunk out of the top cover. Its been mowing the same lawn for 28 years now. I love it.

Now that's got to be a fine mower. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forum, BarryB.

BarryB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks a lot LNG, and thanks for the welcome two-stroke! It is a nice little mower.

I can't believe I am a LB fan. For the longest time I thought they were terribly over-priced, and I felt the owners of them were overpaid idiots. I used to buy lawnmowers used through the newspaper for less than $50. Then about 12 years ago I bought a house and the previous owner let me have his Lawn-Boy for a song as he was moving to a condo and didn't need it anymore. After I used it I thought - boy am I the idiot - this lawnmower is awesome. You only get what you pay for as they say. I wouldn't use any other brand of lawnmower now.

The previous owner was meticulous and the mower was in great shape with all the manuals, mechanics guide, extra parts, A-grease, etc. About 5 years ago I had to get the axle welded, and just recently I thought it was needing some attention so I have been working on it a lot recently.

So - it seemed to be running rough and the self-propelled was weak. I took the float apart, dried it, boiled it, and dipped it in PVC pipe cement to coat it. Then redipped it the next day to give it a good "shell" of PVC. Then new carb/float gaskets, float valve, spark plug, drive rollers and new back tires (OEM but with more offset). New plunger tubing. Set the carb, and then regreased it with waterproof marine grease from Wal-Mart (nice grease and way more waterproof than A-grease). Used 30W on oiling points per the manual. Sharpened the blade with a grinder followed by a file to trim the wire-edge off. Boy - oh - boy does it work now! I have another set of wheels on order along with some extra sponge filters and the proper lever. I'd like to get another top cover - not new necessarily but one that is in decent shape.

For the new front wheels I ordered the p/n for the back ones. Probably the only difference is that the back ones have softer tread. My thinking of using back tires on the front is that 10 or 15 years from now I can switch them when the rollers wear out the treads on the back. That's it guys. What do you think?

BarryB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oh one more thing. The replacement back wheels, using p/n 682972 instead of the original nla p/n, have more offset. This is actually an improvement in my opinion as the mower seems to be more maneuverable. It might be better for the lawn too as it doesn't run it over right before cutting it (as much). Also reducing the wobble compared to the old wheels makes it a lot easier to push. It should be a bit better with new front wheels too.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads
BarryB -

You are onto something -- pay attention to the wheels and wheel bearings. The bearings need to be cleaned and greased regularly. Every old LB I get has been neglected in this area.

You didn't mention cleaning the ports and muffler -- this should be done every time you remove the blade.

Please post some photos.

BarryB

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for posting those maintenance items!

Ever since I switched to a synthetic fuel additive the ports haven't need to be cleaned. I use Castrol 1:100. I think there are others. Mobil makes one; I think avlube stocks it. I take the muffler off every other year to look at it and usually its now just a light film of oil that wipes off easily. My yard is small though, about 1/10th of an acre - I live in town, but the lot is steep, steep. 16' rise over the 40' going toward the house. Stairs between the street and the house.

I was surprised that the instruction sheet for the new wheels said to lubricate them. I previously thought the idea was not too. I don't know where I got that idea. Neither manual speaks to the issue if I recall.

I'll post pictures in a few days after the new front wheels are on. :)

One more thing about dipping the float in PVC cement. I dipped a piece of cardboard first to practice and see how thick the coating would be, thinking I could dilute with MEK if it was too thick. I turned out great without dilution, just using it as-is (Oatey). The trick is to withdraw the float slowly from the cement and move it around for the first 30 seconds or so while drying to that the saggy part gets evenly distributed. I would estimate the coating thickness to be about 0.001" using this method and the coating is very uniform. I poured the cement from the metal container into a polyethylene measuring cup to have enough room to dip.

Another thing that struck me was how sensitive the carb is to adjustment. Jeesh.

Two-Stroke

Lawn Addict
Threads

My yard is small though, about 1/10th of an acre - I live in town, but the lot is steep, steep. 16' rise over the 40' going toward the house. Stairs between the street and the house.

Wow, I didn't think there would be anybody on LMF with a smaller lot than my place in the city -- mine's 1/6 of an acre. When I was just mowing that little bit I only had mowers that I had gotten for free and was able to keep running.

When I got the place in the country (Cleburne County, Alabama) I then had huge mowing project requiring very robust tools. :thumbsup:

I also had, for the first time, lots of sloped areas to mow -- requiring a two-stroke mower as a four-stroke will not last under those conditions.