Kohler ZT 740 engine stuck!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
What was the oil level after it seized? And how are you cleaning your filters?

I was just curious about your actual method of cleaning the air filter.
Here is the proper method according to the Kohler ZT740 owners manual. This is required every 25 hours.
Air Cleaner
NOTE:
NOTE:
Operating engine with loose or damaged air cleaner components could cause premature wear and failure. Replace all bent or damaged components.
Paper element cannot be blown out with compressed air.
Move bails on air cleaner cover up; remove latches from cover; remove cover.
Precleaner (if equipped):
1. Remove precleaner from paper element.
2. Replace or wash precleaner in warm water with detergent. Rinse and allow to air dry.
3. Lightly oil precleaner with new engine oil; squeeze out excess oil.
4. Reinstall precleaner over paper element.
Paper Element:
1. Separate precleaner from element; service precleaner and replace paper element.
2. Install precleaner over new paper element and install on base.
Reinstall cover; place latches onto cover; pull down bails to secure cover.

I have the same engine on my Gravely. The foam prefilter catches most of the dirt.
I wash the prefilter every 25 hours. I apply an aerosol foam filter oil after it dries. I also vacuum out the filter housing.

Last edited:

kjonxx

Threads
Are you sure the oil level was correct before starting it the final time? {I check mine before each use.}
Wrong oil filter, may be too short if eng has the extended tube where it screws on. MUST have long filter. Just a thought.

Yardman999

Threads
Or maybe a defective oil filter that restricted flow? I'd drain and cut it apart to see.

SamB

Threads
Next door neighbor bought a brand new Zero Turn Mower, spring of 2024, it ran fine, but he insisted on mowing the highway right of way. The road ditch was VERY steep and the engine locked up. Warranty covered the repair, then the very same thing happened with the 'new' engine. NO warranty this time. Oil starvation. Too steep of an angle for a vertical shaft engine.
btw, mowing your 'yard' all the out to the pavement in rural areas may constitute what the state considers 'trespassing'.
NOT my opinion, theirs!

LawnWizard

Threads
Kohler on Grasshopper 225V,2018, we bought this mower used at an estate sale about a year ago with less than 700 hours and were told it had just been serviced! I put about 200 hours on it and decided to change oil and filter, used all Kohler parts machine ran great for about 4 hours, yesterday took it down to barn and on way bay starting knocking and then seized! I used Kohler synthetic could it be that owner used regular oil and this caused failure? Any ideas? Thanx in advance Charlie W
This is obviously just a guess but, it may not have been anything you did. I just did an autopsy on a SV840 that had locked up for no apparent reason. The gear that drives the oil pump and the Woodruff key were laying in the oil sump. All the internals look fine except the crankshaft is stuck in the in the bushing on top of the engine. I've gotten it to turn but I still haven't been able to get it to come out. Courage engines also seem to have an issue with the tube falling off of the oil pump. (Same result)