Kohler xt675-2047 NO MARK crankshaft

cyryl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone, I have a problem because when I was removing the oil pan, the camshaft in the Kohler xt675-2047 engine from the Viking lawn mower popped out. The worst thing about it all is that there is no mark on the gear that is mounted on the crankshaft (it is fixed in place, it is not removable) :/, there is a mark on the camshaft gear. It looks like in this video
(only it is a slightly larger model but visually everything is the same), in this link there is a service manual https://www.manua.ls/kohler/xt675/manual?p=43 but I only found a sentence that the marks must match, nothing more. Is anyone able to help me how to put it back together now without that mark on the crankshaft?

VegetiveSteam

Threads
This is one engine I never taught so I don't know for sure but can give you a couple of things to look for. Sometimes there is a thrust washer stuck on the crank gear hiding the timing mark. See if maybe that's the case. If not, look at the tooth that is directly in line with the square cut key way groove cut into the pto for a slight bevel on one tooth. On some older Kohler engines the mark was a raised line on the crankshaft itself.

Last edited:

mechanic mark

Lawn Pro
Threads
Locate your engine manual above & see pages 45 & 46 .

Last edited:

VegetiveSteam

Threads
in this link there is a service manual https://www.manua.ls/kohler/xt675/manual?p=43 but I only found a sentence that the marks must match, nothing more.
Sadly Kohler hasn't published a decent service manual in over 10 years. Since the man who was in charge of Technical Publications retired, their manuals have been little more than telling you to "Diagnose engine. Find issue. Fix issue. Return engine to service".

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The problem is the soft metal Kohler use for the crank gear. IT is the same here where the shim has completely worn away the timing mark. IT appears to be set with the piston at TDC then align the cam gear timing mark with the crankshaft.

Here is an example of one where the timing mark is just visible.
1694215416767.png

VegetiveSteam

Threads
If you can’t find any sign of a timing mark you can time it without a mark. It’s a bit of a pain but it can be done.

Last edited:

cyryl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, thank you very much for the advice. I'm going to the garage to continue fighting. If anything happens, I'll post some pictures. Maybe someone will notice something.

cyryl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Cant upload here:/

cyryl

Forum Newbie
Threads
If you can’t find any sign of a timing mark you can time it without a mark. It’s a bit of a pain but it can be done.
How plz tell me :)

EDIT: 09.09.2023 18:00
I have already assembled this unfortunate lawnmower. I set the shaft at the very top, inserted the camshaft so that it would immediately open the intake valve, and watched the valves move relative to the shaft. I am practically certain that I set it up correctly, I screwed everything together, filled in new oil, and turned the shaft a little (with a screwdriver) on the first shot without the spark plug connected. Later, I connected the spark plug and started the lawnmower with a screwdriver without any problems. It ran for a while (about a minute), so I put the top together (plastics and pull-start). To my surprise, it doesn't want to start at all on the pull-start, but when I disassembled the top again and tried with a screwdriver, it worked without any problems. Could it be that I hit a tooth or two?

Last edited:

VegetiveSteam

Threads
How plz tell me :)

EDIT: 09.09.2023 18:00
I have already assembled this unfortunate lawnmower. I set the shaft at the very top, inserted the camshaft so that it would immediately open the intake valve, and watched the valves move relative to the shaft. I am practically certain that I set it up correctly, I screwed everything together, filled in new oil, and turned the shaft a little (with a screwdriver) on the first shot without the spark plug connected. Later, I connected the spark plug and started the lawnmower with a screwdriver without any problems. It ran for a while (about a minute), so I put the top together (plastics and pull-start). To my surprise, it doesn't want to start at all on the pull-start, but when I disassembled the top again and tried with a screwdriver, it worked without any problems. Could it be that I hit a tooth or two?
The only way I know to time a cam to a crank without marks it to do it until I get correct valve overlap.

Check out this video to help understand what valve overlap is. It's of course not your engine but the principle is the same.

Then check and see if you get correct valve overlap when you turn your engine over by hand to top dead center exhaust. You will have valve overlap somewhere during the rotation of the crankshaft but you want it with the piston at TDC between the exhaust stroke and the intake stroke. At that point the engine is just finishing the exhaust stroke and the next stroke is the intake stroke. There is a brief moment between those strokes that both valves should be open just a little bit. If you have the rocker cover off and turn the crankshaft in the proper rotation until the piston is at TDC at the end of the exhaust stroke, then turn the crankshaft back and forth about an inch or two your rocker arms should teeter totter. If you find valve overlap and the piston is not at TDC the cam and crank are not in time.