Kohler SV730 vs Kohler ZT730

TobyU

Threads
A few years ago, I needed the engine info on my Gravely 260Z. No serial numbers on old engine. I wrote to Gravely and asked if they might be able to tell me the engine. They wrote back and gave me what the mower came with. (Boooyahhh) :)
I then ordered the current replacement engine. The new engine was in fact a direct replacement and went in like a charm. Was very impressed with the whole experience and I use that same mower today..
Glad that worked for you but I refuse to deal with equipment manufacturers because normally it's just a waste of time.
Even if the companies do technically have the information -somewhere- the likelihood of speaking to a person who can find that information is very small.
So, in my experience, it is the hard way and slow way to do it and most of the time an exercise and futility because they can't help you at all.
What I have found is far more quick and convenient and just as accurate lol, is to do a Google search for what you're looking for or even just do a search and click on images and then find the ones that look just like yours.
Use within just a few clicks I can find one with some type of description or someone talking about the brand and model of engine on one that looks just like mine so then I can take that newly found information and typically do a second search with that to further clarify and confirm with better pictures etc to make sure it is the compatible engine for what I need.
I've just heard too many people do a needle in a haystack kind of approach dealing with manufacturers and these companies are very poorly designed to offer any type of actual experienced people with Hands-On information or technical or even common failure and or repairs needed info beyond the basic product ID and or brief specifications.
I went through a big old long call one time with Briggs & Stratton talking to two or three different people and got a hold of a person there who did they're absolute best to help me.
I was actually trying to find a replacement part for a Briggs & Stratton Brand 4 cycle string trimmer.
It was a camshaft and I had it in my hand with the numbers on it etc and had all the numbers on the machine and the engine too.
After extensive digging, and I think this employee actually called me back later, they were able to ID the part but unfortunately said they were actually none of them ever made as parts.
They uncovered the fact that none of this was ever made by Briggs & Stratton but simply contracted by another manufacturer to make the entire machine.
It was kind of a weird one-off model thing and it seems like there weren't twin Parts sitting around in the Troy-Bilt or other brand four cycle trimmers.
Technically, there could have been but officially no replacement parts wherever ordered, made, or packaged as individual parts for this item so we were at a dead end.
It would have been faster and probably just as accurate to put a post on a group like this or the other larger more popular for him at the time or ask a couple of people who repaired lots of these items.
At the time, I hadn't messed with a lot of these and I stopped doing all of those little ones because I found it's not cost-effective for my shop or the customer but someone who did a lot of these types of items would probably take one look at it I know exactly who made it, just like I do with mowers for about a 3 decade.

I understand people's desire to jump through hoops if it does get them the info they need like it's a last resort but unfortunately it's usually not a last resort and if they would go with the most likely and common or efficient approach to begin with they wouldn't even need to consider trying to call the original manufacturer which like I said, usually yields little to nothing.
For me, it's about the same as trying to put a non OEM brand belt on a machine.
I don't even really consider it an option because it's proven problematic so many times.

Craftsman Garage

Threads
You know better than just throw something just to increase your post count. All you did took a wild guess without even looking up the engine info. That is like telling you to replace all eight spark plugs when you got a two cylinder engine.

But the Damn problem is resolved as I am deleting all links to this forum and will not post any further comments or help. At least take the time to properly research things so I post as accurate info that I can. The Loony Tunes here can have it.
Well thats a bit drastic, dont you think? We are mortal, so we all make mistakes. Nobody ever wanted to give wrong info intentionally. We will miss you Startech.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Well thats a bit drastic, dont you think? We are mortal, so we all make mistakes. Nobody ever wanted to give wrong info intentionally. We will miss you Startech.
This same sort of thing happens on another forum I am on, Lawnsite. Being a know it all, snarky, sarcastic, a smartass, etc. may feel good in that moment, but it does nothing to help the original poster or the forum in general.

Remember, your words on the internet are on there forever, or at least a long time. People should not have to post things with the mindset of an attorney. Let’s learn, grow, challenge ourselves, and have fun. That is what it is all about.