Kohler SV730 vs Kohler ZT730

bullet bob

Threads
You know better than just throw something just to increase your post count. All you did took a wild guess without even looking up the engine info. That is like telling you to replace all eight spark plugs when you got a two cylinder engine.

But the Damn problem is resolved as I am deleting all links to this forum and will not post any further comments or help. At least take the time to properly research things so I post as accurate info that I can. The Loony Tunes here can have it.
Whoa, whoa whoa. You can't leave here. You have just proven your worth, again, to this forum. Take a deep breath, smile, & rethink this. I and the rest of this forum appreciates you and listens when you post. Please!

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
You know better than just throw something just to increase your post count. All you did took a wild guess without even looking up the engine info. That is like telling you to replace all eight spark plugs when you got a two cylinder engine.

But the Damn problem is resolved as I am deleting all links to this forum and will not post any further comments or help. At least take the time to properly research things so I post as accurate info that I can. The Loony Tunes here can have it.
I wish that you would reconsider.

kbowley

Threads
The dealer is responsible, and I would demand they fix it correctly. The Confidant is an excellent engine with the same durability as the command, they claim. They screwed it up and they need to fix it. That is a pricey engine, around 2k.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads

StarTech-
Information and experience is why we are here to help people. Try not to take this stuff personally and realize that people learn and grow as they are helping. I care nothing about my post count.

mmoffitt

Threads
Well, IF Tiger actually did his research he would know that is impossible. I actually called my RBI Kohler Tech support to verify these are not thru holes and the size of the screws used in the holes initially which were 3/8-16 self tappers. Actually I was mainly checking on the screw as the SV had 8.5mm holes and the KT has 9mm holes which means less material for the self tappers to bite into for threads. Otherwords the screws if over tighten can pull out easier.

Personally I think it going very difficult to use thru screws since would require drilling thru holes and then mounting the sump/oil pan/closure plate and reassemble the engine while this is attached to the mower's engine plate.

I wish posters would stop just throwing things out just to hear their head rattle or in this case the keys rattle.

Here is the location of the mounting screw holes.

View attachment 69646
we all make mistakes.. but yes Sir It would be a good idea to "Fact check" unless you are absolutely sure that you are correct and or the guy who designed it! Everyone be well and happy mowing!

TobyU

Threads
Well, IF Tiger actually did his research he would know that is impossible. I actually called my RBI Kohler Tech support to verify these are not thru holes and the size of the screws used in the holes initially which were 3/8-16 self tappers. Actually I was mainly checking on the screw as the SV had 8.5mm holes and the KT has 9mm holes which means less material for the self tappers to bite into for threads. Otherwords the screws if over tighten can pull out easier.

Personally I think it going very difficult to use thru screws since would require drilling thru holes and then mounting the sump/oil pan/closure plate and reassemble the engine while this is attached to the mower's engine plate.

I wish posters would stop just throwing things out just to hear their head rattle or in this case the keys rattle.

Here is the location of the mounting screw holes.

View attachment 69646
What he should have said was IF there's room to drill through and put a nut on top. Lol
This would have eliminated the problem of him being wrong.

-I wish- there weren't so many people on social media and in forums that are just chomping at the bit to pull the
"GOTCHA" to tell someone they're wrong.
It's actually worse than the grammar Nazis because nobody pays any attention to them at this point and we all just wish they'd go away and lose their internet connections. 😆

The pedantic nature of it becomes quite intense!

Why in the world would anyone waste so much time and effort looking things up or calling a representative etc when it's not their problem.
This is just a casual discussion forum where we offer advice that we think may help and we share experiences when we've actually done the exact repair or procedure etc so we can save them some time and let them know what will work and what won't or what is likely not to.
It's not our responsibility to delve into something that we haven't actually done to find out more information for ourselves so we can pass along to someone else.
It'd be just as simple to recommend they do that instead of someone else doing it since - it is their situation.

It's not that I don't want to be helpful but having to be concerned that someone's going to jump your crap and criticize a suggestion makes it almost not worth posting.
Almost I said because I thrive on conflict and have no problem stirring the pooh-poo pot.

His suggestion of using longer bolts and a nut on top (I would have probably added a lock washer too in the recommendation or at least a special type of locking nut) was still a valid suggestion since it works on a large majority of engines on at least some of their mounting legs.

I have learned in the past 3 or 4 years especially with facebook, to always word my post so they are not so specific that anyone has any grammatical standing to criticize my posts.
This leaves them only to criticize my opinions and personal preferences and do the character assassinations, which they certainly and quickly do. 😂 😆
I just love picturing their head spinning around and frothing at the mouth because they think I'm such a terrible human being because they can't
educate me, show me the light, help me become aware, get me to understand.... and it usually takes 2-3 times before they will give up and tell me what they really think of me personally - All most commonly from only one comment.
It's absolutely hilarious but it does make me hate most people.
Hate might be a strong word all the time, but it certainly applies a lot of the time and for many of them.
It's not that I'm sensitive, a snowflake or get been out of shape about it, but I have to admit it didn't use to bother me BECAUSE I didn't know about it.
But we have done, and the powers that be, is continually keep people interacting and at each other's throats by always giving them two different sides at minimum to choose.
Oh well, I don't think much of the world anyways. So there's that too.

TobyU

Threads
I was not saying on this particular model engine that using bolts and nuts instead of self tapping bolts would absolutely 100% work. I am on this forum to help people, not get berated by you.
Absolutely! I just wrote another big one about this because it brushed me the wrong way too.
It is not your responsibility to research or even bother considering what model number it is if you don't know exactly how that engine looks off the top of your head before you give advice or recommend something that they may consider that might work.
See all those special words I use like may and might??
I find you have to do this today because certain people are always out there looking to criticize others when the intent, like yours was 100% positive.
I would rather have people brainstorm and throw all kinds of suggestions out there and the person can read through and decide which ones they want to further look into.
A few times that people being critical and you scroll on by and don't even bother to give the suggestion because it's not worth your time to do any research on it because it's not your problem and you don't want to say something that somebody else might claim you don't know what you're talking about.
Don't need to know what you're talking about because you don't have that engine in front of you and it's not your project. 😂

TobyU

Threads

Deleting that and not post any further comments or help would make you the one that can dish it out but can't take it.
You have given a lot of great information on this forum but we are not required to conduct ourselves the way you want us to or by whatever standards you want to have.
It was certainly not his responsibility to research anything before making a post because what he suggested works on many engines at least on some of their mounting legs.
You may be willing to take the time to research to be as accurate as you can but others may not be compelled and are not required to.
It's no reason to leave or shut down because you can't have it your way.
You can still do your posts your way and the rest of us will still do ours -our way.
People can throw everything up against the wall as far as suggestions and the original posters can read through and see what they want to further consider and then see if it's an option.

TobyU

Threads
we all make mistakes.. but yes Sir It would be a good idea to "Fact check" unless you are absolutely sure that you are correct and or the guy who designed it! Everyone be well and happy mowing!
I'm not fact-checking anything!!
It's not our responsibility.
This is why I make all my suggestions with certain keywords that let me off the hook.
Saying things like "depending on the mounting design, you may be able to...."
Allows me to make a suggestion and reference what I have done many times on other engines (possibly with different designs) without being factually inaccurate.
Now, I don't like it when people make overly generalized statements as fact because it can't be accurate if it's not 100% accurate if there's even one outlier.
This is why you say things like most or the majority of...
There's just certain ways how the language works and one little word can make all the difference between being accurate and inaccurate even if the odds are highly against it working or even being possible. 😂 😆

Dragonslayr

Forum Newbie
Threads
So, I contact someone who sells Kohlers, he asks me what is the spec #? I don't know, don't have the old engine!
So, I guess I'm looking for either a way to match up a ZT730, spec # 3043 to what might be the equivalent in a SV, or if anyone would know what SV engine I need. The JD is probably 20 years old. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

A few years ago, I needed the engine info on my Gravely 260Z. No serial numbers on old engine. I wrote to Gravely and asked if they might be able to tell me the engine. They wrote back and gave me what the mower came with. (Boooyahhh) :)
I then ordered the current replacement engine. The new engine was in fact a direct replacement and went in like a charm. Was very impressed with the whole experience and I use that same mower today..