Kohler cv16s Runs for 10 mins then dies

LarryWolb

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had a couple mower tractors that acted the same. Ended up the tiny vent hole in the gas cap was plugged. Try running with a loose cap and see if that changes anything,

Delmo

Forum Newbie
Threads
Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!
I think I have your fix Cwest. When the engine starts to shut down, open your gas cap. See if that works. I have a Kohler 6.75 engine mower that does the exact same thing. Obviously a vacuum issue of some kind. If that works, try just getting a new gas cap. Or, like me, when the issue arises, just undo the gas cap, the re-secure it. The fix seems to last for another 15-20 minutes.

Reactions: Tyy

techman51

Forum Newbie
Threads
Runs great for 10-15 minutes while mowing then acts like it’s not getting gas and shuts off. It does start again but does off after about 1 minute after that. Fuel lines are clear and flows from gas tank well. Probably going to replace the carb this weekend. Hoping there’s not an issue with the coil as well? Appreciate any and all input in advance! New to the small engine game but ready to learn!
I had a Honda that did exactly the same thing, it turned out to be a bad gas cap. Easy to eliminate this as the cause, just try running without the cap for a period beyond the suspected failure time. Good luck!

Mel366

Forum Newbie
Threads
Had a problem about the same as yours. Mine was on a John Deere rider. Fuel cap vent had plugged up. Blew it out with air and it run prefect.

davidk147

Forum Newbie
Threads
You can replace your vacuum gas pump which I have had to do.

kev290

Threads
i did a ladys mower that did the same thing her was vent line and coil she has no trouble with it now

Wheels

Forum Newbie
Threads
I would loosen the gas cap so it isn't tight and then try that. I have seen this a lot and the gas cap is bad. It needs to breath and if it is bad the machine dies like it is running out of gas, and will only start after sitting a bit. I would bet you gas cap is bad.

whitejww

Threads
I had a similar issue on the same engine a bunch of yesterday back and it turned out to be the needle in the carburetor hanging up. Did a rebuild and the issue was fixed.

txmowman

Threads
A carburetor should never need replacement unless:
1) it is corroded beyond being able to be cleaned.
2) a non-replaceable part is broken/missing
3) replacement parts are not available
4) there is no desire to clean, replace parts or maintain it correctly throughout its life.
4a) you've got money to burn