Kohler courage 540S will turn but not run, shows compression at 65 psi, changed carburetor with new fuel solenoid,spark plug, changed oil,head gasket

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Kohler courage 540S will turn but not run, shows compression at 65 psi, changed carburetor with new fuel solenoid,spark plug, changed oil,head gasket
If we’ve (the techs on this site) said it once we’ve said it a thousand times, TODAYS COILS CAN NOT BE TESTED USING A MULTI METER, You need special equipment to test them, due to Hall Effect triggers inside the coil. Easiest way for the DIY guts to test a coil is to disconnect the kill wire from a properly mounted coil and then check for spark. No spark, bad coil. Spark, you’ve got other problems.

danubo49

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Kohler courage 540S will turn but not run, shows compression at 65 psi, changed carburetor with new fuel solenoid,spark plug, changed oil,head gasket
Well relied on you tube clips,anyway changed the coil,showed spark,reassembled it, then it cranked and run, run it for a few minutes, but when tried to restart,went back to same problem, just crank not going to life. Put starting fluid in the carburetor it runs for few seconds. Could it be fuel problem or carburetor. Appreciate your input.

Joed756

Threads
If it started with starting fluid, you have a fuel problem. I like to check/clean the entire fuel system.

danubo49

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was able to run it, it is the fuel solenoid that solved it,and the coil, but it was not smooth as I would expect, it surges a little bit, I replaced a new carburetor though not OEM, how can I resolve it. Thanks for the help.

Joed756

Threads
Rebuild your original carb and reinstall it. Non OEM stuff is a crap shoot.