Kohle Courage 15 carburetor queries

ruperthebare

Threads
hi again,
i have a basic question to my initial query.
I have a model with no fuel pump. I have fitted new carb, but the petrol is not getting to it from the tank and therefore not firing/starting.
I can see the filter hasn’t got much fuel in, but the line is free of obstruction.
Is it just a case of once its going the carb sort of sucks it through
Should i add some fuel straight into the carb?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Gravity Fed is just that the fuel has to flow down and fill the carburetor from it own weight. Fuel filter can look empty at first unless you fill the line and them with fuel. You can develop an air lock if the carburetor fills before all the air in the line escapes. Sometimes this air lock can actually prevent fuel from flowing out the fuel tank; hence, a vapor lock condition.

Born2Mow

Threads
Either fuel enters the carb by gravity flow, OR the tank is below the carb and a pump is required. Those are your ONLY 2 options.

Most mower fuel pumps work by having the crankcase pressure pulse operate a diaphragm pump. So the engine has to be running to pump any fuel. Therefore priming the carb with fuel MAY be required for the first start.

ruperthebare

Threads
The carb is below the tank and it is gravity fed but some of the fuel hose/shut off and filter all hang below the carb so I need to fill it all somehow or somehow blow it through. Once its through I’m sure it will be fine, its just getting that first fill

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
The carb is below the tank and it is gravity fed but some of the fuel hose/shut off and filter all hang below the carb so I need to fill it all somehow or somehow blow it through. Once its through I’m sure it will be fine, its just getting that first fill
If ordering aftermarket carburetor for Kohler engines in general, I have not had good luck. By that I mean runs, yet hunts and surges. In general, other than Kohler engine aftermarket carburetors, had good success.

ruperthebare

Threads
It would just be good to get it started and running first!

ruperthebare

Threads
Still can't keep the thing running. Replaced shut off valve and filter. Think I've got air out of the line, filter looks full. If I add petrol straight into the carb it fires up, runs briefly, sounds fine, then stops. How can I get this fuel flowing??

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Still can't keep the thing running. Replaced shut off valve and filter. Think I've got air out of the line, filter looks full. If I add petrol straight into the carb it fires up, runs briefly, sounds fine, then stops. How can I get this fuel flowing??
Is it a gravity fed tank? Take an air compressor and blow back through the lines. If a fuel pump, then take fuel line off going to carburetor, and crank the engine. Fuel should pulse/spurt out at a nice steady flow. PlanB, hook up a nurse tank to carburetor and get it running to confirm everything else is good, and then fix fuel flow issues.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If you have a carb with a solenoid on the bottom check that it fully retracts
Kohler fitted some that used the body of the solenoid as a ground connection so have a single solenoid wire
If your engine has a plastic / rubber manifold then you need a jumper fitted
On these there has to be a jumper between the carb body & the engine or the solenoid will not retract thus no fuel from the carb to the engine.
I have no access to Castle Garden IPL's so I can not check
The carb solenoid trips at 8V so you can use one of those square 9V batteries to test it

ruperthebare

Threads
Hi again and thanks,
Took the mower round a mates with more space, fuel now reaching carb but it just fires up for a few moments then dies, sounds fine when it runs.

Now looking at spark as its very weak, almost non existent, cleaned up coilpack, took off flywheel and 2 magnets dropped off.
So re-fix magnets, test coil (replace if necc) and new plug and see where we are then.
why do you fix one thing and another appears?