Kohle Courage 15 carburetor queries

ruperthebare

Threads
Hi.

I have a Castel Garden TC102 from 2002 fitted with a Kohler Courage 15 PS-SV470-0002.

Looking up this spec engine it appears to have been fitted to an Electrolux???

Anyway in short I’m looking for an aftermarket carb to replace the Walbro LMK currently fitted, which i’m pretty sure is the original although I cant be sure. There are plenty on ebay but part no’s differ slightly, specifically the 0002, which again seems to be the Electrolux ref.
Research from engine diagrams says carb part no's could be 20 853 23-S or 20 853 86-S, can't seem to match these. They look basically the same except on the original there is a protruding adjuster with spring which only has a half turn then a stop on the carb body. Could this be the mixture adjustment? Aftermarket ones have a hole in the same place with what looks like a recessed plug, maybe with a adjustment? difficult to see. This is the only difference that I can see.

Any ideas anyone? thanks in anticipation

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Well that Spec uses the 20 853 23-S carburetor. Unfortunately it is NLA from Kohler.

You check out the 20 853 33-S used on the SV470-0108 as appear to be a gravity fed version. Probably will need to change some of the linkages.

ruperthebare

Threads
Thanks Star Tech, when you say gravity fed you mean no fuel pump I presume?

The linkage points look the same

VegetiveSteam

Threads
It will probably turn out to be correct but I don't always trust Kohler's parts look up when it comes to carbs. Look at the number right on the carb. It will be 20 053 and two more digits. You might get lucky and find the last two digits aren't 23 but something else that's still available. I'm just picking the last two numbers at random here but for example, if you look at your carb and find the number on it is 20 053 32, the replacement carb part number would be 20 853 32-S. What ever number is on the carb you simply change the 053 to 853 and add as S to the end and you have the replacement part number. You may find some other numbers on the carb but you are looking for the number that begins with 20 053. It's a bit of a long shot but I have found more than once that the carb put on at the factory is a different part number than is actually on the engine.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For me I have to trust the dealer website for part numbers; although, ever since Kohler dump Kolher Plus for the new Italian Kolher's Partners website things have not been the same. Half the time older engines are not even on the site.

VegetiveSteam

Threads
For me I have to trust the dealer website for part numbers; although, ever since Kohler dump Kolher Plus for the new Italian Kolher's Partners website things have not been the same. Half the time older engines are not even on the site.
It's sort of funny. When Kohler droped PartSmart and went to Kohler PLUS, many of the dealers were upset about it and never really liked Kohler PLUS. When Kohler changed to this new system, I told one of my colleagues, "I know a lot of dealers never liked Kohler PLUS but it won't be long and they will be missing it."

ruperthebare

Threads
It will probably turn out to be correct but I don't always trust Kohler's parts look up when it comes to carbs. Look at the number right on the carb. It will be 20 053 and two more digits. You might get lucky and find the last two digits aren't 23 but something else that's still available. I'm just picking the last two numbers at random here but for example, if you look at your carb and find the number on it is 20 053 32, the replacement carb part number would be 20 853 32-S. What ever number is on the carb you simply change the 053 to 853 and add as S to the end and you have the replacement part number. You may find some other numbers on the carb but you are looking for the number that begins with 20 053. It's a bit of a long shot but I have found more than once that the carb put on at the factory is a different part number than is actually on the engine.
my carb nos are 114-0964 2005303 which translates as 20 853 03-S ... maybe. This carb seems to relate to engine

CV14 CV15S CV16S if you go the ebay look-up route. They all look very similar but mine has a solenoid under the bowl like the 33- S which I have now ordered. Thanks for your help

VegetiveSteam

Threads
my carb nos are 114-0964 2005303 which translates as 20 853 03-S ... maybe. This carb seems to relate to engine

CV14 CV15S CV16S if you go the ebay look-up route. They all look very similar but mine has a solenoid under the bowl like the 33- S which I have now ordered. Thanks for your help

20 853 03-S supersedes to 20 853 86-S, is still available and is for a Courage single cylinder engine. If that is what ebay is saying they are incorrect. CV single cylinder carb part numbers begin with 12. See if that ebay search didn't lead you to a 12 853 03-S and not a 20 853 03-S. I've been fooled by that before.

ruperthebare

Threads

CV14 CV15S CV16S if you go the ebay route. They all look very similar but mine has a solenoid under the bowl like the 33- S which I have now ordered. Thanks for your help

20 853 03-S supersedes to 20 853 86-S, is still available and is for a Courage single cylinder engine. If that is what ebay is saying they are incorrect. CV single cylinder carb part numbers begin with 12. See if that ebay search didn't lead you to a 12 853 03-S and not a 20 853 03-S. I've been fooled by that before.
As I say I’ve ordered a 33-S, hope its ok. Looking at all the various part nos the basic size, carb body, linkage etc look the same, so what, if anything is likely to be different internally, the jet sizes?