Kickback issue...I'm stumped, need help

arch252

Threads
A couple of years ago the tech shop for the local city school system cleared out decades of engines and parts. The had an auction on gov deals. I didn't know about the auction but I have since bought items from two local people who both bought pallets of engines and parts. I have picked up several 3 to 5 hp B&S engines, mostly horizontal shaft. They never had oil in them. There are still quite a few floating around the north Alabama area. The guy I got this one from still has several large Onan engines and several more horizontal and vertical Briggs, old flatheads. What's really great is those old carbs and tanks for those engines are all in new condition.

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
thank you I have been trying to find some but havn't

arch252

Threads
Go to the Huntsville Alabama Craigslist page and search "small engine parts Madison" and you'll get an idea of what they got in that auction. The parts you see are what is left after 2 years! You wouldn't believe what all you could buy around here 2 years ago! Those old B&S tanks, carbs, coils, recoil starters, all new, or at least never used, we're all $5 each. I've dropped a lot of money!

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
Go to the Huntsville Alabama Craigslist page and search "small engine parts Madison" and you'll get an idea of what they got in that auction. The parts you see are what is left after 2 years! You wouldn't believe what all you could buy around here 2 years ago! Those old B&S tanks, carbs, coils, recoil starters, all new, or at least never used, we're all $5 each. I've dropped a lot of money!

wow I will

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I warned you these engines can be problematic! Micah, the kickback on these engines is not a timing issue, his timing is probably correct, unless he has a coil mounted under the flywheel. These engines were designed to run rich, so they will need the loads, remember there is an auxiliary PTO, to slightly slow down the piston travel. I doubt you have ever worked on one of these engines. If you have a coil mounted under the flywheel, then you will need a Dial Indicator and follow the instructions on page 69 in this manual.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tec...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf

arch252

Threads
There is no coil under the flywheel. I haven't seen one of these engines much less worked on one, and yes, you were right, I should have walked away especially considering I don't have a use for it. I'm glad you responded though, it saved me from spring the case again. I'll find a way to put it under load and try it out.

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
I warned you these engines can be problematic! Micah, the kickback on these engines is not a timing issue, his timing is probably correct, unless he has a coil mounted under the flywheel. These engines were designed to run rich, so they will need the loads, remember there is an auxiliary PTO, to slightly slow down the piston travel. I doubt you have ever worked on one of these engines. If you have a coil mounted under the flywheel, then you will need a Dial Indicator and follow the instructions on page 69 in this manual.

http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tec...P-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-692509.pdf

Thats what it was on mine

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Micah, are you telling me you set the timing on your engine with a dial indicator?

Micah Haarhoff

Threads
Micah, are you telling me you set the timing on your engine with a dial indicator?

some one else did for me - freind/neighbor i just watched

it was also a Tecumseh. I just thought I would tell him what was wrong with mine seems how we both have close engines. The guy fixed it and I watched I did some work for him for it.

If I remeber right he did use a dial indicator.

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads

That brings back memories of the old 2 cycle snowmobile engines I used to work on. You set the timing with a dial indicator on top of the piston. As I recall they even had timing marks.