Keeping your deck clean

Gord Baker

Threads
I hear you. The grass in Georgia will stay wet with dew until noon or a little later. I’ve been running OEM Gravely/Ariens blades on my Pro Turn 160. They do a decent job however, I can get some buildup too. Sometimes clumps will fall out over the yard and I will have to go over it. The first thing to do is not let your grass go more than seven days before mowing. I try to mow every six days. That’s been pretty hard to follow with the rain we’ve been having. Make sure you deck is leveled and pitched according to the operators manual. I like about 1/4” pitch in the front. When it’s too bad, I will shut it down, raise the deck to transport height, and hose out from under the deck. DO NOT do that with the blades turning. Then continue mowing.
I wanted to try something different. I have used Oregon Gator G3 blades on my formally owned Toros and was not happy with the results. I decided to try the Oregon Gator G6 on my Gravely. I put them on Tuesday and mowed. Boy, was I surprised. The results were fantastic. I didn’t have to recut and I didn’t have clumps falling out from the deck. I may have found my new blades. Time will tell. They are pricey.
Here are the blades. I got mine off Amazon. The seller was PAE Distribution.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/gator®-g6™-blade%2c-16-1-4%22/p/396-716
Try cutting your grass shorter every time.

Gord Baker

Threads
With a 2" wide long handled scraper, give it a scrape after every couple mowings. At the end of the season, turn it upside down, remove blades for sharpening and using the used oil you just drained out lather it on the underside and let sit over night on a gravel area. Check Belt and spindles and Idlers and store for Spring. Charge Battery every 2 months. I put blocks under the frame so I don't destroy a tire with a slow leak. Have a Budweiser and get your shots.

oldgearhead

Threads
What products do you use and how do you keep your deck clean from build-up? thanks Ray
I have tried several products over the years and have found Amsoil Mudslinger to work the best. The first time I tried it was after I cleaned the underside of the deck, allowed it to dry and then sprayed liberally with mudslinger. I have found it to easily work a month or more. During the fall of the year, here in western Kentucky we have very heavy morning dew. I have not had an issue since switching to this Amsoil product.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I too do the used oil trick. Paints don't last. Cut dry grass if possible. I go out in the blazing heat of the day, right before dark.

RayMcD

Threads
I am a fan of both the EZ Slide and the newer Gator blades. Mowing grass later in the day when the dew/moisture has mostly evaporated is also a great suggestion. I have not had to clear my 48" 3 blade deck since treating the deck and keeping sharp blades.
I'm giving EZ Slide a try, have the done the entire bottom.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am NOT going to comment on the product OR the couple pictured on the label. BUT I sure want to! LOL!
WOW, I didn't look close at that. Nice catch!! Safety third LOL.

Ranchito

Threads
If the grass I'm cutting is green, it will build up under the deck of both of my CC mowers, my old 2165, and my new SC 500HW. Fortunately, they have deck washing attachments, which helps somewhat.

I've always wondered if that plastic spray-on bedliner put on without the grit, would work.
I've wondered about bedliner too and applied it in the early spring. I'll report the results at the end of the heavy mowing season, maybe November.