Keeping your deck clean

RayMcD

Threads
What products do you use and how do you keep your deck clean from build-up? thanks Ray

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
The main thing to prevent buildup on the under side is to NOT mow wet grass.
as for the top of the mower a Leaf blower or compressed air does the trick.

RayMcD

Threads
as for the top of the mower a Leaf blower or compressed air does the trick.
CRZ 48", I looking for ways to keep it from sticking to the bottom, I in GA an it is simply not possible to only mow when it is dry. My only complaint with this machine is it will not process wet grass well. My old Cub Cadet will cut it in a rain storm, never clog and even do a good job. It's 2 blade 38", something tells me I might have been happer with a 2 blade 42".

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
CRZ 48", I looking for ways to keep it from sticking to the bottom, I in GA an it is simply not possible to only mow when it is dry. My only complaint with this machine is it will not process wet grass well. My old Cub Cadet will cut it in a rain storm, never clog and even do a good job. It's 2 blade 38", something tells me I might have been happer with a 2 blade 42".
I hear you. The grass in Georgia will stay wet with dew until noon or a little later. I’ve been running OEM Gravely/Ariens blades on my Pro Turn 160. They do a decent job however, I can get some buildup too. Sometimes clumps will fall out over the yard and I will have to go over it. The first thing to do is not let your grass go more than seven days before mowing. I try to mow every six days. That’s been pretty hard to follow with the rain we’ve been having. Make sure you deck is leveled and pitched according to the operators manual. I like about 1/4” pitch in the front. When it’s too bad, I will shut it down, raise the deck to transport height, and hose out from under the deck. DO NOT do that with the blades turning. Then continue mowing.
I wanted to try something different. I have used Oregon Gator G3 blades on my formally owned Toros and was not happy with the results. I decided to try the Oregon Gator G6 on my Gravely. I put them on Tuesday and mowed. Boy, was I surprised. The results were fantastic. I didn’t have to recut and I didn’t have clumps falling out from the deck. I may have found my new blades. Time will tell. They are pricey.
Here are the blades. I got mine off Amazon. The seller was PAE Distribution.
https://www.oregonproducts.com/en/gator®-g6™-blade%2c-16-1-4%22/p/396-716

RayMcD

Threads
as for the top of the mower a Leaf blower or compressed air does the trick

I use the leaf blower every mow, a nice coat of car wax also does wonders (ya might be a redneck if you wax your mower). As I indicated below, there is no way to avoid wet grass. I recently put a coat of EZ Slide on the bottom. It is much improved but I'm still looking for a better solution. Suggestions are most welcome...

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I use the leaf blower every mow, a nice coat of car wax also does wonders (ya might be a redneck if you wax your mower). As I indicated below, there is no way to avoid wet grass. I recently put a coat of EZ Slide on the bottom. It is much improved but I'm still looking for a better solution. Suggestions are most welcome...
Whatever you put on the underside of your deck, it will get blasted off pretty quick. I’ve tried just about anything you can imagine.
Hose off the underside of the deck. Just a garden hose and a spray nozzle. Avoid spraying directly on the spindles. I wouldn’t use a pressure washer. When done hosing off underneath, spray with WD 40. It won’t do a lot to prevent the buildup but, it will dissipate the water.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Mow later in the day as is a couple hours before dark. You have a rider so no big deal far as the heat goes.

GJKnoll

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am a fan of both the EZ Slide and the newer Gator blades. Mowing grass later in the day when the dew/moisture has mostly evaporated is also a great suggestion. I have not had to clear my 48" 3 blade deck since treating the deck and keeping sharp blades.

efred

Threads
If the grass I'm cutting is green, it will build up under the deck of both of my CC mowers, my old 2165, and my new SC 500HW. Fortunately, they have deck washing attachments, which helps somewhat.

I've always wondered if that plastic spray-on bedliner put on without the grit, would work.