kawasaki oil consumption

PSHoop

Forum Newbie
Threads
we have had two newer scag z turn mowers. one is two years old the other one
on both machines the Kawasaki engines have failed.
both used about 2-3 quarts of oil a week
one has 650 hours the other 1050
are we the only landscapers that are having this problem with oil consumption? one motor was covered by our dealer the other Kawasaki will not cover.
even though its still under warranty. our dealer has been great with us but cant do anything for us on this motor I called Kawasaki and they don't have anybody to talk to the customers only the dealer. so my question is do others have the same problems? thank you

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
are we the only landscapers that are having this problem with oil consumption? one motor was covered by our dealer the other Kawasaki will not cover.
even though its still under warranty. our dealer has been great with us but cant do anything for us on this motor I called Kawasaki and they don't have anybody to talk to the customers only the dealer. so my question is do others have the same problems? thank you

What Kawasaki engines are you running and what oil are you putting in them?

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Interesting that this is the second thread this week. Look for carsw who just had the same problem. Is something going on at the assembly plant? Check the new posts.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just my opinion, but Kawasaki is experiencing situations that may contribute to some of their problems.
1. Demand for their engines has increased dramatically.
2. Demand for higher HP engines has also increased dramatically.
3. More strict emissions requirements have been imposed on Kawasaki along with all the other small engine manufacturers.
4. New engines are running leaner fuel/air mixtures to keep with ever demanding emissions requirements which increases the combustion chamber temperatures, reduces the power output and increases the heat produced by the engine. There comes a point where engine life is directly affected by the combination of these factors and this is where many newer engines are operating.
5. Ethanol in our gasoline adds to the heat problem as it burns at a different time in the combustion cycle reducing the effective octane of the fuel.
6. Engine oils, regardless of their type, have a problem dealing with the increasing operating temperatures that these engines are running at.
7. Gasoline is now refined in a different manner (cracked) than it had been in the past. This method produces more gasoline per barrel of crude oil but a lower quality of gasoline. This lower quality of gasoline negatively affects small engines that are operated at higher load and RPM.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads

Failed ?
I presume you mean seized, dropped rod or something similar.?
Surely professionals check the oil every day and in that case you would have been in a position to get a warranty service to investigate the excessive oil consumption.

No engine maker will allow warrantee claims on engines that have run out of oil

as to excessive oil consumption there has been a tendency for while down here for owners to adjust the governors up a few hundred rpm.
I regularly find engines running 4000 rpm or more .
This , combined with too light oil and long hot days can cause massive oil consumption and has led to at least 3 repowers from my shop.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have had 2 this year start using oil.
I check my oil no less then 4 times a day.
The only thing I did do that I never have done in the past was use Kawasaki oil and filter from day one.
Both engines less then 500 hours each.

These are the only and the last Kawasaki engines that I have used.

My toro dealer is putting a new Kawasaki on next week.
I will take it off and trade it for a new Briggs 24hp.
The Briggs cost $700 less. And will last me years like they always have.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Failed ? I presume you mean seized, dropped rod or something similar.? Surely professionals check the oil every day and in that case you would have been in a position to get a warranty service to investigate the excessive oil consumption. No engine maker will allow warrantee claims on engines that have run out of oil as to excessive oil consumption there has been a tendency for while down here for owners to adjust the governors up a few hundred rpm. I regularly find engines running 4000 rpm or more . This , combined with too light oil and long hot days can cause massive oil consumption and has led to at least 3 repowers from my shop.

Failed as in it uses wayyyyyyyyy toooooo much oil.
If a engine uses 2 quarts of oil a week. ( about 30 hours ) then the engine is broke.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
It is not good to be cut off from Kaw factory like I was with Briggs when my "newer" engine failed. That is a strike against. The evidence in this forum is rising against Kaw, but I will ask... During this oil usage is there smoke under load? If not the oil was lost in raw form out the exhast ports from exh guides or past the oil control rings at a low enough rate not to smoke. The latter suggests large piston/bore clearance, but perhaps not outside spec. More like a NASCAR "qualifying" engine set to the loosest outside spec limits to reduce friction. Known as a "bomb." Also part of my Intek consumption is leakage past gaskets- pan and rocker cover. I run thin 5W-30 with higher consumption (no smoke),but better cooling if OIL LEVEL PROPER. My consumption rate is about what carsw reports.

It would be good to have more readers report oil consumption rates by make. Please know I know my sample of one (Intek) cannot compare with professional experiences. I remain your humble servant merely stating my opinion.:smile:

gainestruk

Threads
I have 99.6 hrs on my 2013 Kohler Courage 23 hp V-Twin, so far I don't see any oil usage, last month I did Change several times using different weight, Dino and Synthetic checking temperatures.

So I have only had one run of 50 hrs at change, at that time it didn't look like it was down any. I am now using Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic in it.

I also have a 2004 Briggs I/C series 17.5hp OHV with around 500 hrs and it will go from full mark to half way to add mark at 25 hrs, (it doesn't have oil filter) it has only had Rotella 15W40 since first oil change, it will puff a little smoke at start up)

Ric

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have 99.6 hrs on my 2013 Kohler Courage 23 hp V-Twin, so far I don't see any oil usage, last month I did Change several times using different weight, Dino and Synthetic checking temperatures.

So I have only had one run of 50 hrs at change, at that time it didn't look like it was down any. I am now using Rotella T6 5W40 synthetic in it.

I also have a 2004 Briggs I/C series 17.5hp OHV with around 500 hrs and it will go from full mark to half way to add mark at 25 hrs, (it doesn't have oil filter) it has only had Rotella 15W40 since first oil change, it will puff a little smoke at start up)

I've had my Toro with a Kawasaki FX 651V since last August and in the last year and in 9 months I put 290 hrs on it and its never used any oil. The FS 541 I've had for three years and have over 700hrs and its never used any oil. I use Mobil Super 5000 10w30 in both. Change the oil and oil filter every 50hrs,use nothing but Kawasaki filters.