Kawasaki FS541V Oil Burning Question

mattymax

Threads
SCAG 48" WB Hydro with the Kawasaki FS541V 18 HP engine.

Been a great machine but its been burning a bit of oil since I bought it. Currently have 40 hours on the machine. Its not a ton but I have had to add about `1/2 QT maybe 3/4 QT since the first oil change.

I only ask because I have a FH series Kawasaki 16hp on my 36" with about 70 hours and doesn't burn a drop of oil

Thanks
Matt

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
With only 40 hours I can't understand why the engine would be worn out, unless it was ran without a air cleaner in dirty conditions. I would say take the engine apart and you will find something wrong.

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
What is the actual time on this machine? Did you buy it new? If the engine is still under warranty, then I would bring the machine to a quality Kawasaki servicing dealer for diagnostic checks.
Engine oil has basically two places to come from to get into the combustion chamber to get burned. 1st, By the piston rings, 2nd, in the cylinder head, by the valve guides or another cylinder head issue as engine oil is supplied to the heads of an overhead valve engine thru the pushrod chambers and returns back thru the pushrod chambers.
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

mattymax

Threads
Bought it used with only 10 or so hours on it. added a meter when I bough it, so probably about 50 hours.
Used = no warrantee through SCAG

You could literally eat off the thing, that's how new it was.

I use the same oil as my FH Kawasaki.

-matt

Could a carb being off of tune, cause oil burning ??

mattymax

Threads
I could call the guy I bought it from and see if he could come with me to go have it looked at

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
I could call the guy I bought it from and see if he could come with me to go have it looked at

Maybe the oil consumption problem was the reason he sold it.
Depending on what the sale date is on the original bill of sale if it is still available, there may still be warranty on the engine as some have a 24 month or longer warranty period.
It could be something simple like the wrong dipstick causing you to overfill the crankcase, or the crankcase breather not functioning correctly.
The spark plug coloration and/or buildup can give an indication of excessive oil consumption. It could also have fuel contamination from a leak in the fuel pump or a slightly flooding carb which will thin the engine oil and cause excessive oil consumption. It could also be oil pooling in a valve cover of a cylinder where the oil is not returning back to the crankcase and going by the valve guides. Is the choke plate fully open when the lever is pulled fully back? Look at the inside of the tailpipe on the muffler, what color is it? Many possibilities, but these are the fairly easy ones that you may be able to do yourself.
The major ones are compression testing, dry first then wet. A leakdown test with the correct tester. An oil pressure check with the tool that fits onto the oil filter adapter. A valve adjustment is another area, however affecting performance more than oil consumption. Are you using the correct Kawasaki oil filter?
Some thoughts from Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could it be that the person you bought it from knew it burned oil and that is the reason he sold it with only 10 hrs. on it.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
smoking? Could be overbored, but not expected from Kawasaki. In ultra high perf engines max safe piston to bore is often set on the outside tolerance to assure lubrication at hight rpms, e.g. Porsche, Mercedes, but rings seat within 10K typically. That is hardly the case here. MadMac views correct. How about initial set up missing oil??

mattymax

Threads
No the guy before me would have never known about the oil burning issue cause it really only shows up after 30 or so hours. Its a very small amount. I'm only noticing it cause I am very anal about my machines.

Smoke. Only really smokes a small small amount on start up when its warm and is very unnoticeable.

One thing I did notice was when I did do my first oil change, I put the required 1.9 qts in and it was reading low. About half way low. I am using very high grade oil.

Has the correct oil filter on it.

-matt

Mad Mackie

Lawn Addict
Threads
Here is a link to the Kawi FS series engine operators manual.

http://kawpower.com/sites/kawpower.com/files/manuals/99920-2256-04_FS481V-541V-600V_English_0.pdf

If this machine sat for a while it may need some run time to stabilize the engine. Get some Sea Foam fuel additive and give the tank a dose at the recommended ration on the can.
Note that on Kawi and other foreign engines, that to check the oil level, the dipstick is only setting on the tube and not tight but must be tightened after checking the level. When one pours engine oil down thru the dipstick tube, some time must be allowed to permit the oil to clear the tube to give one a correct oil level indication on the dip stick.
Condition of the air filter?
Mad Mackie in CT

Last edited: